Hello, my Sta-Rite SR400NA pool water heater is making noice when it's on. Service Heater light it on. It's a 2103 heater. Should I try to service it or buy a new one? How do I find someone to service it?
Lots of pool service companies can repair heaters. May try one of those. If it’s repairable, no reason to replace it.

Welcome to TFP.

Number one reason for heater problems is due to low water flow. Usually a dirty filter or misset valve.

I would do some diagnostics before spending thousands of dollars to replace a heater.

How long does the heater run for before throwing the Service Heater light?

What noises does it make?

Agreed. Troubleshoot the problem a bit and use the guide in the manual or some of the information on the TFP Wiki to help. Chances are it can be easily repaired.

…. However … if it turns out that there’s a serious issue of damage like a broken blower motor or a leaking heat exchanger, I recommend replacing the heater. Simple problems on heaters are cheap and easy to fix but it is rarely ever worth it to get into repairs that cost hundreds or thousands of dollar especially if it’s going to involve paying labor rates for someone to do the work. The simple fact is you can spend a lot of money fixing it only to have something else expensive on it breaks. Cascading failures are common on equipment like this. It’s easy to get trapped in a money pit of repairs when the simplest and most effective solution is to just replace it. I went down that road with a clothes washing machine once and basically spent enough on repairs to buy a new one. At the end of the day I only kept it going for a couple of years and then was left with a very expensive pile of junk.

Good luck, post questions.

PS - 10 years old is a typical lifetime for a heater. It’s lived it’s life, it may be time to move on.

Welcome to TFP.

Number one reason for heater problems is due to low water flow. Usually a dirty filter or misset valve.

I would do some diagnostics before spending thousands of dollars to replace a heater.

How long does the heater run for before throwing the Service Heater light?

What noises does it make?
The light comes on right away. Here is the video, where you can hear the noice. Any ideas? Water-Heater-noice.MOV

Check the thermal regulator and the internal bypass.

When you remove the thermal regulator, look up to see the internal bypass disc.

Also, look into the inlet to see the spring part of the internal bypass.

1669480430784.png

1669480532638.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
These videos show what's inside the heater.

You can try running without the thermal regulator.

You can check the Stack Flue Temperature.

While running, press and hold the On button to display the exhaust temperature (Older Models).

The new models use the Menu to get the SFS.

Here is what the normal exhaust temperature should be:
  • Below 250 degrees...very low
  • 250 to 290 ..................low
  • 290 to 350.................acceptable
  • 350 to 480 ..................high
  • Above 480...................error/shutdown.

The light comes on right away. Here is the video, where you can hear the noice. Any ideas? Water-Heater-noice.MOV

I hear the pump whine, the heater blower noise, and a clicky clack. I can't tell what noise is unusual and coming from the heater.

With the camera moving around I cannot tell what the heater is doing and if it lighsta dn when it shuts down.

Confirm the heater blower goes on, the heater lights, and heat comes out of the exhaust for some time?

What type and model filter do you have?

When was your filter last cleaned?

What is your filter PSI?

The rust on the lower bolt of the manifold may indicate you have a leaking heat exchanger.

Remove the lower bolt and see if water comes out from it.

1669484086731.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.