Heater making a whistling sound (kettling?), even at high pump RPM

Apr 18, 2018
Lakewood, OH
We have a Rheem pool heater and a small in ground pool. Normally, if the pump is running too slow (but not slow enough to shut off the heater) it will start making a whistling sound. I've always assumed this was kettling and if I run the pump at a higher RPM it goes away. So, I run the pump at 3000 and that's worked fine for months.

Recently, it started making the whistling sound at the higher speed (3000 RPM). If I turn the pump speed up to the max, I can still hear it, but it's slightly better.
  • Filter is clean
  • There's a SWG after the pump, seems to be working fine
  • Water temp is around 90-94
What could cause this to suddenly start happening?

Hi- Not necessarily a fix but RayPak/Rheem has a bunch of youtube videos published on cleaning, troubleshooting, etc. There is also one from an owner that replaced the governor (thermostat) due to knocking caused by a hard water induced flow restriction. Not sure if a flow restriction would also cause whistling.

I think so. I removed the filter and spent a good amount of time cleaning it out. After that, the whistling stopped.

It seems like the pressure in the filter system, which is quite large for the size pool we have, raises quickly when the filter starts getting dirty and then the sound starts. It seems like there is plenty of flow, the water coming out of the jets is very strong. So, maybe there’s something else going on. But for now, frequently cleaning the filter keeps the noise at bay.

I would love to hear from others what else might cause this to occur (faulty part, perhaps), or maybe our filter is just filthier than I think! it’s definitely an issue related to flow.

Reactions: Frankie5esr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.