Heater just went.. need recommendations for new

ABC12

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Been a while since on this site.

15,500 gal salt water pool. The heater that we had when bought the house just went.

Would love a few recommendations for good pool heaters. Just starting my research, so I’d really appreciate any advice on what to look for in a new heater, good features to have, new tech etc.

Thank you all!

Separately- is now the time to make any other changes to my equipment or if things are running smoothly just keep as is? Ultimately will probably need a new SWG soon, and would like to make my system “smarter” - ie controlled from phone/web

(Had a signature way back when, hopefully it posts automatically, if not let me know what other info you need).

Last edited:

ABC12

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Found my old signature (got a new pump about a year ago, but the rest should be correct).

POOL NOOB: Size: 15,500 Gal, Type: Plaster/Concrete IG pool, Filter: Hayward Star Cleaner - Cartridge Filter, Pump: Hayward Max-Flo, Heat Pump: AquaCal Heatwave Superquiet, SWG: Pool Pilot Digital by Autopilot, Test Kit: Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD Chlorine

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Your signature shows a Heat Pump -- best to define what you are looking for. Heater typically implies a gas/propane pool heater.

ABC12

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Your signature shows a Heat Pump -- best to define what you are looking for. Heater typically implies a gas/propane pool heater.
Sorry. What’s the difference? I have the Aquacal… pretty sure it’s a heat pump. Turn it on 24hrs before use and it heats the pool to the desired temp.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
What’s the difference?
A heat pump uses electricity to pull heat out of the air and transfer it to the water. A Heater uses (in most cases) natural gas or propane to burn and transfers heat to the water.

I believe you have a Heat Pump.