Heater is here - gas line tomorrow!!!

Macboy

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Our AGP lives are about to be forever changed and I can’t wait!

I’m wondering if I can use a temporary setup for the plumbing though or should we do it once, do it right? I ask because the plan is now to surround the pool with a wind block....just a post at each post all connected together and walled in with fenceboard. I’m sure it’ll be more cosmetic than insulative but at least we’re trying something right? Plus I’ve been looking at all the “what’s your pool paradise look like” threads and want ours to be more paradise like.

Anyway....can I use temp fittings and flexible hoses for a week or so until we get the rest of the project all sorted out? The heater will be right beside the pump/filter which is just close enough to the pool that I can still walk between the pump and pool so no huge plumbing runs. The heater (Pentair Mastertemp 125) came with two union fittings for the inlet and outlet but they look to be glue fittings on the pool side. Doubt I’ll find a hose that’ll fit over them...I had good luck with my ABS fitting solution to marry to the Intex threaded hoses so I should be ok from the filter to the heater. Just not sure I want to be using the thin wall intex type hose for the heated water run to the intex aerator return fittings. In any case, I’d need another couple of the intex hoses which I’d have to wait for.

Perhaps I’m missing something here but I’m not seeing what benefit you’d get from the flex hoses in terms of installing your wind screening.

Personally I’d never use them on any installation. If one of them springs a leak or the hose pops off a barb, etc and disrupts water flow to the heater you run the risk of significant damage to your heat exchanger and other heater parts.

Good choice on the Mastertemp, I’ve loved mine so far.

I guess the big question really is whether there is a temperature rating or something that I should be aware of with those flexible hoses. I’ll definitely be hard piping everything very soon but even then have heard people using flexible pvc for the final soft wall pool connections. I intend to do the same.

As as for the sidewall wind screein8ng - no real correlation other than I’d like to have it in place for the mos5 part so I can run the hard piping in the best way for form and function.

Heater will turn off if flow is disrupted.

Yes it will, but you should never disrupt flow while the heater is running or damage CAN occur. Pump should run for at least 5 minutes after heater is shut off to allow for the system to cool off before flow is stopped.

I guess the big question really is whether there is a temperature rating or something that I should be aware of with those flexible hoses. I’ll definitely be hard piping everything very soon but even then have heard people using flexible pvc for the final soft wall pool connections. I intend to do the same.

As as for the sidewall wind screein8ng - no real correlation other than I’d like to have it in place for the mos5 part so I can run the hard piping in the best way for form and function.

I do not believe that they would have a heat rating, at least not one low enough to be relevant here.

My entire pool is plumbed with flexible schedule 40 PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.