Cary, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Anyone in the Raleigh, NC area with a heater for their pool? Very interested in adding one to my 15,000 gal salt water pool and looking to get an idea of what to expect.
  • Heat Pump or Gas?
  • Average bill increase?
  • How much does it extend your season comfortably?
Been reading the forums so still learning but looking for any personal experience in the area :)

I'm in Apex. I have a heat pump for my 20k inground salt water pool. I think the decision between a heat pump and gas heater depends on how you use your pool. If you only swim on the weekend, then a gas heater will work just fine. My wife swims laps every morning for exercise so we want to maintain the temperature instead of repeated heating and cooling cycles. The heat pump is efficient at doing this. For me, the season starts sometime mid to late April until early to mid October. One year I kept it open until Veteran's Day (November 11) which was a mistake because the pool got filled with leaves. I keep a solar cover installed until about mid June and then put it back on around mid September. As far as electricity bill increase, I can't say how much to attribute to the heater. At the same time, the bill is increasing due to the heat pump, it is also increasing due to the pool pump and 2 HVAC systems on my house. It is hard to separate the three contributions to the bill.

We live in Chapel Hill and have a 250,000 BTU gas heater for my 15,000 gal pool we use it at the beginning and end of the season to get the pool up to temperature and as a "boost" if we need occasional heat during the swimming season. It heats the pool up about 1 degree per hour.

A solar cover (misnomer) should be used to keep the heat in once you've heated the pool!

Reactions: djlombar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.