TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi there. We are looking at getting a heater/chiller installed (I decided this after all equipment was installed but before electrical). So I had the correct AMPs installed for the future.
I have electric only. Taking BTU’s. I know the higher you go the more $$. My pool which is almost done will be about 10-12k gallons. Closer to 10k. What size BTU do you recommend? Retailers are advising me 120k BTU or higher. This is to extend and start our season early. Thank you!

Get the biggest available.

12,000 gallons is 100,000 lbs of water.

120,000 btu/hr will add 1.2 degrees per hour, but you will also begin losing heat as soon as you begin heating, so the actual gain rate will be lower.

If you gain 1.2 degrees and lose 0.4 degrees per hour, the net gain is 0.8 degrees per hour.

As with any form of pool heater, gas or electric, you will only be throwing away money if you don’t get a pool cover as well. Once overnight temps drop below your pool water temp, evaporative heat losses will dominate and your heat pump won’t be able to keep up. A cover is a must.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.