Heat pump winter cover - Yay or Nay

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Hello being in NY I have always covered my heat pump but I made large round holes in 3 sides so the cover didn’t trap moisture. Basically just protecting the top and front panel. Is this a good idea or is it better to leave uncovered? I ask because I’m thinking of replacing the cover

thanks

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
So last season I moved into a house with central AC for the first time and called my HVAC Buddy to winterize it and teach me the basics. The outside unit being more or less a heat pump applies. He said to only cover the top couple of inches to allow good airflow.

The front panel / electronics of your heat pump will need good airflow to dry as well and are designed to do so if you don’t cover them.

Reactions: tpm

joonbug99

Jul 23, 2017
Rochester NY
Covering this type of equipment also gives natures little critters shelter from the weather. This could be disastrous come spring time the following season. I have a heat pump I have left uncovered for years in western NY. No issues.

Reactions: tpm and Newdude

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have never covered my AC units and never had critters decide to nest in them during the winter.

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Do you cover it when it rains during the summer ? Those covers are made for future service calls.
As I said previously the 3 sides are open, only covering the top fan and front panel