Heat pump warranty requires professional installation?

riny

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
Poughkeepsie, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm going to put in a heat pump in the spring, and I'm starting now to plan everything out. I'm going to change my pump at the same time for a VSP (either Pentair SuperFlo VS or Hayward Super Pump VS), so I'll probably consider a heat pump from the same manufacturer, unless anyone has a better recommendation.

Here's the question though: I'm 100% confident doing the plumbing and electrical work myself. But I read that some manufacturers won't honor the warranty unless you use one of their approved installers. I can't find the article where I read this though, and I don't remember exactly which brands they were talking about.

Does anybody know more about this?

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pentair warranties are tricky and a bit inconsistent. But generally you get 60 days if you install things yourself, one or two years if installed by a pro (and they have definitions for what "pro" means) and three years if you buy certain items together. There are also caveats for where you purchase. It's here:

I expect other brands will have similar resources to look up.

Reactions: riny

nopain00

May 27, 2017
Warren, NJ
Correct, most manufacturers will require whatever they consider "professional installation" for the warranty to be in effect. What you can do is do most of the electrical/plumbing work myself except for the so-called last-mile. Then have a GC or similarly licensed professional do the final hook-up. Usually that part is not too expensive and you get the benefit of the whole warranty. Just make sure to get a receipt of some sort that proves that the installation was done by that professional.

Reactions: riny and borjis

riny

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
Poughkeepsie, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion!

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread