Heat pump, special care?

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
hey guys! I got a heat pump at the end of last year and was wondering if you all have advice on things I need to do in order to keep this thing running properly for as long as possible? anything I need to know? thanks in advance!

so ready to get pool clean and warm~!

There are a few things to keep in mind when caring for a heat pump.

1. Drain water from it in winter to prevent freeze damage
2. Keep leaves and debris cleared from the area and grates to promote air flow.
3. Keep your pH at 7.2 or higher to prevent problems with heat exchanger, especially copper heat exchangers.
4. Have the freon and compressor checked every year or two. It is a heat pump same as a heat pump used to heat and cool a house. It needs similar service like a home HVAC system.

One thing I do when closing for the season, " I do remove all equipment and store in garage except for heater" I cap or slightly plug the outlet or inlet on heater with a rag to create stronger suction and use a fairly large shop vac and suck remaining water out of the tubes. They say you could as extra precaution add antifreeze to the lines but there really isn't anyway to keep it from running right back out unless you cap them off which I would not do. I also use a custom made cover for winter for my particular heater which you may or may not need, My house heat pump does not get covered but then it has to run year round. As stated on another reply is to keep vents clean , probably the most important maintenance step.

Not a service or storage tip, but something I feel worth mentioning. If possible, schedule your pool pump / heat pump to run during the warmest part of the day for the best efficiency from your heat pump. The warmer it is outside the more efficient your heat pump will be.

Enjoy that warm water, we sure do!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.