Heat pump on/off?

JW1

Sep 4, 2019
SW Ohio
My newly added Hayward heat pump was electrically connected to the sub panel and not connected into my digital timer. So my question is do I manually turn the heat pump on and off during my pump run times or just keep it on all the time even when the pump is off?

My electrician, who has a pool and heat pump himself, said turn the heat pump on during swim season and keep it on. The no flow code will keep the heat pump from working when the pump is not running. He said there is heating sensor in there is as well as another safeguard.

Now, I spoke with a coworker pool owner today about this situation. He said the same thing. His Hayward heat pump is not hooked up to his timer. He keeps his heat pump powered all summer and adjusts the set temperature if he wants it to run or not vs using the on/off button.

That is correct. Leave the HP in "standby" and it is ready to run when there is water flow and pool water temperature is below the heater set point.

Reactions: JW1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.