Palm Desert, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Put in an offer and got accepted on a house and they have a heat pump and a gas heater. Heat pump to keep pools cool is becoming the norm. Heat pump is 2 years old and noted tubular insulation & tape on coolant copper line is flaking off.
Tape notes it’s UV resistant (not so much ;))

I’m sure I’ll just replace the insulation and re-wrap the tape, but it has really strong sun exposure and if only after 2 years it’s falling off, I’m hoping someone has a better solution?

I’m reading online that maybe wrapping it with new tube polyethylene insulation AND line set tape AND then foil HVAC tape to reflect the sun is recommended. Anyone heard of this? Maybe in this order?:
Insulation->foil tape->black line set tape

My advice is that any time you're talking about a gas appliance, its best to have a licensed gas man come out and check it out. Let him service it and ask what can be done to cover that line properly?

My two cents.

Maddie :flower:

I have a 6 year old heat pump which is loosing its insulation. After researching it is important to leave the insulation slightly loose. My first reaction would be to tape it tight but that is a no no.

Polyethylene is the way to go.

Oh yeah. My heat pump heats my pool. Sounds like yours works in AC mode, cool.
Some can heat and or cool.

Good point to keep it loose. I got 1” insulation, and am hoping to glue up the split, then do a couple wraps of line-set tape. Not sure about the aluminum ‘duct’ tape. I have some of the expensive aluminum tape from another repair, I just don’t know. I want to do it right.

Love the option to have either heating source. House has solar, so electrical heating (or cooling) could be useful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.