Hayward wall skimmer overkill for 12x30 metal frame pool?

Greggie

Mar 5, 2021
South Florida
Hi everyone, been reading on here for a while, but my first post :). I searched but couldn't find a definite answer.

Is the Hayward SP1091LX overkill for a 12x30 Intex Prism Metal frame pool? I really like the idea, but wondering if the 12x30 can handle it. If tall enough, if liner is strong enough (assuming same strength as slightly larger pools)

I ordered it already and on its way, but can return it. Want to make sure before I even attempt to install it.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP :)

It depends... Are you going to set this pool up and leave it there for years? Hard pipe it? Connect it to a normal pump and filter? If yes to those then it may be worth it.. If it is a seasonal pool it is just not worth it unless you want to do it.. I will help by skimming the pool and make your life easier... if you upgrade the pump and filter.. If using the Intex pump and filter then it is probably better to get there skimmer..

Thank you!

I'm in South FL, so not planning on ever taking it down unless a storm does it for me lol. I already upgraded the pump to a 1200lph Intex sand filter pump, but not planning on going hard piping unless a definite requirement. With the summer fast approaching and raining season, my pool gets bombarded with these little flying bugs that end-up floating on the surface. It can get out of control if not using a skimmer, impossible to keep up with manual skimming.

I do already have that Intex above ground skimmer you linked, but even with the 1200 pump, unless I restrict the second intake port, it's not effective. I ended up drilling some holes in one of these black plugs, then putting it in the other port and it's currently working, but not sure if i'm affecting the flow to the pump and turnover rate. I've read that one of the benefits of the wall skimmer is the vast improvement of the pump flow since it's not doing that much effort anymore.

Your problem is the Intex pump, they just do not move much water.. it says 1200, I bet it is closer to 800 or 900 gallons per hour... That pump is maybe 10 to 15 gallons per minute if your lucky... They probably tested one of those pumps with the hose at pump level at 150 volts and the pump worked for about 2 minutes before it blew up and they got 1200 GPH for those 2 minutes.. :)

I installed that same Hayward skimmer in my Intex 18' round Ultra XTR. I still use the pump that came with it ... I think its the 2100 gph(pump flow) / 1,600 gph(system flow) version. I have no idea what my actual system flow is, but I can confirm that the skimmer works well and infinitely better than the stupid things that come with the pool. I don't have any hard pipe either and I take it down in the fall. I just installed it for the second summer and it took me maybe 5 minutes, no problems.

All that being said, I definitely think I am at the bare minimum pump power for the skimmer. I definitely cannot use the skimmer with a vacuum, it's just not powerful enough. I also need to backwash more frequently to keep adequate flow.

I installed that same Hayward skimmer in my Intex 18' round Ultra XTR. I still use the pump that came with it ... I think its the 2100 gph(pump flow) / 1,600 gph(system flow) version. I have no idea what my actual system flow is, but I can confirm that the skimmer works well and infinitely better than the stupid things that come with the pool. I don't have any hard pipe either and I take it down in the fall. I just installed it for the second summer and it took me maybe 5 minutes, no problems.

All that being said, I definitely think I am at the bare minimum pump power for the skimmer. I definitely cannot use the skimmer with a vacuum, it's just not powerful enough. I also need to backwash more frequently to keep adequate flow.
Did you keep both water inlets active? I'm going to be installing mine this weekend and wasn't sure what to do about the existing inlets.

Did you keep both water inlets active? I'm going to be installing mine this weekend and wasn't sure what to do about the existing inlets.
Do you mean the two smaller strainer outlets that go to the pump/filter? My Intex only has one return jet inlet (from filter back to pool). I plugged the standard outlet tubes with PVC plugs and hose clamps on the outside. There is no need for them after you install the skimmer and I don't think the skimmer would even work if you left them open.

Yep, the skimmer will still work. I plugged one of mine on my old Intex and left the other valve about halfway open.

47EAE366-871F-4077-B3D5-80988C58251D.jpeg

Thank you for all the feedback. I think i'm sold on it. I received it and will tackle this during the weekend.

What's the general consensus on how high to install it on the liner? I've read that it's best to keep it entirely under the area where the 2 liner materials meet, but i've seen people install the skimmer frame high enough for the screws to go in the area where the 2 sections meet (see picture) without any issues it seems. Being that my pool is just a 12'x30", I don't have that many water level inches to spare.

Is that safe?
1621628618620.png

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I went for it today and so far so good 😊. I figured a 12x30 prism liner is not that expensive if I screw this up. I’m happy with the result so far. No leaks whatsoever. I do find that some of the little bugs/gnats that float around, while they get skimmed, once the pump stops, some do go back in the pool even with the skimmer door closed, not sure if you guys have any tips to prevent that. (I’m the pics you see, I was still adding water to get it to the second side screw level.)

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Attachments

• 594317A5-125D-4160-BC43-88B1487A4E6B.jpeg
    594317A5-125D-4160-BC43-88B1487A4E6B.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 7206E448-6114-46D7-9546-54DED2A0DFA8.jpeg
    7206E448-6114-46D7-9546-54DED2A0DFA8.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Slammed01
So I went for it today and so far so good 😊. I figured a 12x30 prism liner is not that expensive if I screw this up. I’m happy with the result so far. No leaks whatsoever. I do find that some of the little bugs/gnats that float around, while they get skimmed, once the pump stops, some do go back in the pool even with the skimmer door closed, not sure if you guys have any tips to prevent that. (I’m the pics you see, I was still adding water to get it to the second side screw level.)

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Good work! What filter adapters are you using, the type B? Are you using a plunger/ball valve at all?

Good work! What filter adapters are you using, the type B? Are you using a plunger/ball valve at all?
I used that popular GAME 4560 adapter for the skimmer to use the 1.5” hose that came with my Intex sand filter pump (1200) pump. The 2 original 1.25” outlets that came with the pool are just looped and closed with an intex Y plunger valve I already had. I added another plunger valve to the skimmer adapter in case I need to shutdown the flow. Only the skimmer is feeding the pump and it’s working great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.