Hayward Universal H-Series Heater

csoukup6

Aug 2, 2010
Sarasota, FL
Thinking about replacing my Pentair Minimax NT with a Hayward Universal H. My Pentair Minimax is so unreliable and I'm sick of messing with it. Don't want to put any money into repairing a POS.

Other option would be Pentair Maxtemp.

PoolGuyNJ

TFP Expert
May 20, 2007
South Central NJ
The Ray-Pak/Rheem Digital with the Cupro -Nickel heat exchanger gets my vote. The two brands are the same company/heater with different distribution channels and different wind stack/vent mountings that are normally only used installed indoors or in Very windy locations. It's usually less money than the newer Pentair/Sta-Rite models (very good heater though) and I refuse to trust anything Hayward.

Scott

G

Everything that Scott said! It's like hitting the easy button...

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
PoolGuyNJ said:
The Ray-Pak/Rheem Digital with the Cupro -Nickel heat exchanger gets my vote. The two brands are the same company/heater with different distribution channels and different wind stack/vent mountings that are normally only used installed indoors or in Very windy locations. It's usually less money than the newer Pentair/Sta-Rite models (very good heater though) and I refuse to trust anything Hayward.

Scott
Totally agree, Hayward is great for everything except there heaters; Rheem is the best

csoukup6

Aug 2, 2010
Sarasota, FL
I live in west Florida can I go with a Rheem digital gas heater or do I need the Digital Low NOx heater? Not sure the benefits of the Low NOx.

csoukup6

Aug 2, 2010
Sarasota, FL
Installed my Raypak 266A propane heater. Easy to wire. Had a little problem setting up for Remote. The install manual was a little confusing on how the Remote works. Finally figured out that you have to turn it to "remote off" to set the temp(for pool/spa) and then turn it back to "remote" for control at the spa side remote control which basically locks the panel out at the heater.

I definitely like how quite the unit is and it heated my spa from 77 to 98 degrees in 35 min. Very happy I got ride of the Mini Max NT. Got sick of messing with that thing.

Attachments

bk406

Dec 3, 2009
Central Massachusetts
I think the new Hayward H series heaters are fine. There was an issue a few years ago, I believe, but I dont recall what it was. One of my friends has a new 300 FNP Hayward Universal H series he likes really well. Was thinking of getting one myself.

Other Threads of Interest