Hayward Turbo Cell (T-cell-15) SWG Failure

andydufresne

Hi TFP family,

My Hayward Turbo Cell (T-cell-15) SWG appears to have lived it's best life! :)

I've cleaned the cell and been checking salt levels with my Taylor test kit but no chlorine is being generated. My question for the group is could there be something I'm missing or do I need a new SWG? The T-cell-15 is five years old so I'm thinking it's the latter.

If I'm in the market for a new T-cell-15, do any of you have a dealer that you could recommend? My installer wants to charge several hundred more that what I've seen it listed for online. Also, in my research I found a company called CaliMar which makes a cheaper replacement for the T-cell-15 but I'm not familiar with the company or it's products.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Andy

Get Busy livin' Or get busy dyin'... Welcome to the Forum :wave:

How did you determine its not making chlorine? I will collect some water from the jet with a tube while the SWG is in a production cycle and test for chlorine.. it should be higher than the main pool. Have you tried the diagnostics in the Wiki for Aquarite cells?:

I am not a big fan of third party cells.. they seem to be hit or miss on the quality. Many of the cheaper ones are cheaper because the plate coatings are thinner and hence they don't last as long. When I found TFP years ago while researching the exact same questions I was told to just stick with the Hayward brand replacement cells and pay the extra price for the product with known production quality.. it seems to be paying off.

If you want to do some additional diag on your cell, read through the wiki and we can call in some other SWG experts if you have more questions.

PS that is one of my favorite movies..;)

Get Busy livin' Or get busy dyin'... Welcome to the Forum :wave:

How did you determine its not making chlorine? I will collect some water from the jet with a tube while the SWG is in a production cycle and test for chlorine.. it should be higher than the main pool. Have you tried the diagnostics in the Wiki for Aquarite cells?:

I am not a big fan of third party cells.. they seem to be hit or miss on the quality. Many of the cheaper ones are cheaper because the plate coatings are thinner and hence they don't last as long. When I found TFP years ago while researching the exact same questions I was told to just stick with the Hayward brand replacement cells and pay the extra price for the product with known production quality.. it seems to be paying off.

If you want to do some additional diag on your cell, read through the wiki and we can call in some other SWG experts if you have more questions.

PS that is one of my favorite movies..;)
mguzzy,

Thank you so much for the response. Shawshank is awesome - the movie not the prison :laughblue:

I've been testing for chlorine using the K-1000 test kit. When I opened the pool in May, the readings were normal and the SWG was working fine. In the last couple of weeks, I've been getting error messages for low salt, current sensor short, and relay stuck open. My installer was out last week to repair a light and he inspected/cleaned my SWG. He told me to keep watching for a few days but said he thought it may be time to replace.

I was hesitant to purchase a third party cell. Thank you for the advice. Do you have a Hayward vendor that you recommend? Thanks again!

Andy

You can always take your Hayward cell to the pool store and have them put it on their test machine. It will give you a PASS or FAIL reading. This way you will know for sure what to do next (i.e. replace the cell or something else)......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.