Hayward Tristar VS 950 Omni install

pmh

Aug 25, 2019
Austin, TX
Hi all-

I had an old Tristar pump that recently died on me. I ultimately decided that the Hayward Tristar 950 VS would be a good replacement...and then I further decided I might as well get the VS 950 Omni. The thinking is that I could just drop the pump in to get the pool going again, and then later add the Omni functionality.

As with so many installations/assemblies this did not go as planned. We dropped the new pump in, hooked it up, confirmed power...nothing. We started adding components one by one thinking "ok, maybe it needs the hub/smart relay/etc to operate"...nope. We basically have the entire system installed now, but the screen on the pump doesn't come on at all.
  • Is the VS 950 Omni just the VS 950 with the additional automation stuff or are there any differences in the pumps?
  • The screen doesn't even come on. Could the unit be dead? Any way to test for this?
  • Any help would be appreciated greatly! (can post photos, etc as needed)
Thanks everyone,
Paul

Hi pmh,
Check the breaker in your breaker box, make sure its' on.
Check any main switch or disconnect at the equipment pad, make sure it's on.
If there was a timer on the old pump circuit make sure its not the problem.
Check for voltage present at teh pump terminal box to make sure you have power to the motor terminals.
Check the connections in the motor terminal box to make sure everything is tight.

If you are getting power to the pump, the display should be lit up and the pump run when you press the button. I dont anything about those options you mention, so I cannot help you with any of that.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Breakers are on, mechanical timer is on (and I've removed the on/off switches from wheel), and we've checked and confirmed voltage at every point in the system. I would kill for an error message, an on light, or anything...but screen just doesn't even come on.

hey pmh,
here is a link to Hayward prodcuts trouble shooting guides. If this dont help you out, maybe call their tech support line. 908.355.7995

Those troubleshoot guides are well constructed and easy to understand.
From what I read, you have to tap the screen to wake it up. Did you do that?

Or maybe some one else with experience with that particular pump will chime in soon.

Last edited:
Try flipping the breaker.circuit and leave off for 30 seconds, then go back to the pump and try again. I have not heard of tapping the screen to wake it up, but if it's anything like my wife, it takes more than a tap :cool::D

hey pmh,
here is a link to Hayward prodcuts trouble shooting guides. If this dont help you out, maybe call their tech support line. 908.355.7995

Those troubleshoot guides are well constructed and easy to understand.
From what I read, you have to tap the screen to wake it up. Did you do that?

Or maybe some one else with experience with that particular pump will chime in soon.

My experience with Hayward Tech support is that all they do is send the troubleshooting link even if you have already done that and explain that. They are worthless. We have this pump with the Omni automation. The default in the pump controller may be to look for that... I’m just guessing but there may be a jumper under the panel. I recall the installers doing something with the panel before we got the automation and now that the Omni system is installed, the covered panel is display only. I was told some actually remove the panel once the automation is in....

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should clarify that I'm talking about the lcd display on the pump itself (see photo). No indication its getting power at all even though we've checked with a multimeter. Other models indicate that you can remove the display, and then get to further electrical underneath the mounting plate, but the 950 doesn't have any screws to get further down into the pump.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 12
What is the exact voltage that you're measuring from L1 to L2?

TriStar VS 950 Omni Wiring Connections
Both the high voltage input power and the low voltage communication cable need to be connected to the TriStar VS 950 Omni pump. Both connections are accessible in the drive wiring compartment found underneath the cover plate. Refer to the following steps when wiring the TriStar VS 950 Omni.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Finally got it rewired bypassing the mechanical timer. Not sure why that was the problem since I had everything on, but it fixed it (yes, the manual does say bypass the timer, but of course I thought I was smarter than the pros).

Starting new thread for next set of issues.
Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.