Hayward SwimPure Startup - Help!

Hello!

Had an SWG unit installed on Saturday...WOOHOO!

So... started with chem all balanced and followed instructions:
  • 1) added salt, (9) 40lb bags
    2) ran the pump for 24 hrs with an 1hr break to prevent the poor thing from burning out
    3) turned on the SWG and ran for another 24hrs
    4) headed to the pool store for a water reading

These are the results:
  • FAC 0
    TAC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 80
    CYA 100
    Phosphates 300
    Salt 2400

Manual states levels should be:
  • FC 1.0-3.0
    PH 7.2-7.8
    TA 80-120
    CYA 60-80

Bought another 5 bags and added 4 for now...

The pool store recommended to add 3lbs of ChlorBrite while the SWG unit catches up and 2 liters of Phos Free (of course).

My questions:
  • 1) The manual isn't clear what to do after the initial 48 hr startup.
    Should I start the whole process again with a 24hr pump only session prior to turning on the SWG for another 24hrs? or just switch on the unit now?
    2) Should I add the ChlorBrite while the SWG catches up?
    The cholrine level was within range on Sat, but it was a hot Monday with the SWG trying to produce chlorine without enough salt.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

As I recall, the CB that Leslies suggested is Dichlor and will add to your CYA level, which is already where you want it, if not a bit high. I would use bleach instead.

Use the Phos-Free.

What size cell?
What size pool?
What is the salt level now?
What percentage is the cell set to?

Scott

Things would be much simpler if you had your own test kit.

Avoid Phos-Free, it is a waste of money and can cause problems of it's own.

You need to add chlorine manually until you can maintain an FC level with the SWG. ChlorBrite/Dichlor is not a good choice because it will add CYA, and your CYA level is already too high. I recommend using bleach

You should turn the SWG off for 24 hours after adding salt. Other than that, there is no need to follow a "startup procedure".

ERRRRRGGGG!

Darn pool store employees! So glad I am listening to my gut (and TFP :-D). Now to try to get my husband on board with it! He's the one that got suckered into ADDING CYA before we installed the SWG.

The SWG is still off with just the pump running. I'll switch it on tonight right at the 24 hr mark. I'll pick up some bleach on the way home to add to the pool. Still reading through the Pool School docs. Any recommendations on how much needs to be added? I'm used to throwing in 8-10 oz of ChlorBrite to bring up the FC every other day. This will be the first time using actual bleach. (see follow-up post below)

Picked up a pack of salt test strips last night so I'll use those to test once I get home. I think they are the AquaCheck brand. Will those work for now?

I have a basic test kit I have been using at home. Typically I come up with more accurate #s using it than the in-store testing. In the past, 3 different stores provided 3 different test results using the same water. At least I feel a lot more confident with my readings since I take my time and measure everything exactly instead of flying thru the tests. Going to purchase the TFTest Kit TF-100. Any suggestions on where to buy whether in store or online? Want to try to get it ASAP. No CYA test in my current kit. I'll retest everything tonight. Just didn't have time to verify the pool store tests last night. (purchased directly from TFTest Kit site)

Since the CYA is already high and the only way to lower is to drain, is the CYA being at 100 an issue right now? At least until I get my own test done? I know that hi'er means more FC, but's it's only been a couple of days without the right FC levels. Will irrevocable issues occur that quickly?

The only question that was asked above that wasn't either in my original post or my signature is the % the SWG is set to. It was set to 75% for the 24hr period it was on. When I start it up again tonight, should that be bumped up to 100% or super chlorinate until the FC level raises to the appropriate level?

Thanks everyone!!! I don't feel so alone with this support group! Can't imagine the trouble we would be getting into if we blinded believed everything we were told in the store.

test results before I added chems last night:
  • FC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 100
    Salt 3400

added bleach and an hour later acid with just the pump on.
turned off the pump last night before bed and set SWG to auto at 100%.
we have our pump currently set to start at 7a and shut off at 5p.

this mornings test results:
  • FC just under 2.0
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    Salt just under 3400

i'll be interested to see the SWG shows the salt levels at tonight when i get home. i used the test strips to get the figures above.

also wanted to check with the forum if my thoughts were accurate on increasing the SWG % to 100 until the unit catches up with the cholrine generation?

just got an email confirming the new test kit shipped so i'll hopefully be able to test the CYA tomorrow.

by the ways... the bleach worked!!! i know, i know. i trusted this site's advice and had no issues with following it; but, even as i was pouring it in last night, i had my husband standing over me asking "are you SURE???" with that said, is it normal for the pool to smell like bleach once it's added? seemed like the smell had gone away when i went out there this morning.

thanks again for any advice!!!

quick update for everyone...

kid was not home to turn the SWG down so it was at 95% throughout the day. I turned it back down to 75% as soon as I got home.

FC was still under 2.0 and the salt was reading low on the SWG unit so I added another 40 lb bag of salt and 3/4 tub of bleach per the Pool Calculator's instructions.

the following morning results:
  • FC strong 2.0
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    SWG salt reading 3100

the test kit arrived in the afternoon:
  • CYA 80

left for a long weekend vaca so added enough acid to bring the FC down to 7.2

yesterday's readings:
  • FC strong 3.0
    PH 8.2
    TA 100
    Salt 3100
    CYA 90

the CYA confused me a little so I asked for clarification on the following thread:
  • http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-to-read-tft-cya-test-t23759.html

added 3Q acid yesterday.

today's readings:
  • FC strong 3.0
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    Salt 3100
    CYA 80

really stoked that everything seems to be falling into place and the chems are balancing. just a little concerned with teh TA level. the Pool Calculator doesn't seem to suggest adding anything so wanted to throw it out to the group. should I lower the PH to about 7.0-7.2 to try to get the TA in line?

thanks again for everyone's support!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only reason to actively try to lower TA is if you need to add acid frequently enough that it is annoying. Otherwise you can leave things the way they are, and TA will probably drift down very slowly over time.

thanks again jason!

so it's been a few days and everything is pretty on track except for the PH. i've been having to add a quart a day to the pool to keep it at 7.6.

being a new pool owner, i have no problem being slightly OCD :shock: on the testing til there's a good handle on what the maintenance trend is going to be.

with that said... i really don't want to be adding acid every day or waiting to have to add a full gallon at a time. don't like having to be around it and the daily upkeep.

just finished reading the borax thread found under Water Balance for SWGs and am pretty convinced this will help. thinking of going with the ProTeam Plus Supreme since it was mentioned that it would not raise my PH or CYA and eliminates having to add borax plus acid.

does it sound like i'm on the right track? hoping this will help keep my PH in balance for a longer period of time.

About to head to bed and just realized there aren't any real instrux I can find on the site regarding how long to aerate for except for testing the PH. Anyone have an idea on how long it takes for the levels to start rising?

Think I'm going to shut off the pump just to make sure the PH doesn't get to high while I sleep. Can't test the water right now.

Jason... should I start considering you my personal consultant??? :wink:

It is very difficult to predict the rate at which the PH will rise. It isn't easy to quantify the amount of aeration, So you have to measure the PH occasionally during the process to get an idea of what is happening. It can take anywhere from hours to days to weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.