Hayward Superpump 2 speed

ssusca

Jun 17, 2010
Southington, CT
First I'd like to say that this is a fantastic forum. Ive learned so much in the past few weeks it's amazing. I actually know a lot more about pool chemistry now then many pool owners I know. I just want to thank everybody for their willingness to share their knowledge to those of us that are new to this.

I am however still a complete idiot when it comes to equipment. How does the Hayward Superpump 2 speed work? As I said, I am a complete noob to this whole pool thing. I've never owned one in my life. My PB just finished installing it and the electrician wired everything up. I want to run the pump on low speed but I can't seem to figure out how to change the pump speed. There is a toggle switch on the back of the pump that I am told changes the speed from high to low, however there are no markings on it to indicate which is which. I am assuming that up is high and down is low (that would seem to make sense) but I don't know for sure. In either position, the pump makes the same amount of noise and the water coming out of the returns seems to be at the same pressure. Now I realize that I don't know too much about this stuff, however I am assuming that these two things would be different at different pump speeds. I've looked on line for an operators manual for these pumps, but the only ones I've found are pretty useless when it comes to actually operating the pump.

The pool timer/controller is a Fiberstars WPC2. The model number for this unit, as explained in the owner's manual, indicates that it is for single speed pumps, but I am assuming that the toggle switch on the back of the pump would compensate for this. Is this a valid assumption?

Is it possible that my electrician wired something wrong in the pump so it will only operate at one speed? (I do not know if the speed at which it is running is high or low, however it seems kinda loud so I am guessing that it is high).

I've contacted the PB and voiced my concerns, and they tell me that it is the switch on the pump that controls its speed. If that is the case, then why do I notice no difference between the two switch positions?

Please help a helpless noob. I am completely baffled.

If there is no difference in noise and/or flow rate out of the returns, the switch is probably not wired correctly.

Thanks. that's what I thought, however I wasn't sure that they actually have to wire up the switch inside the pump when they install it. I figured the switch was already prewired for high and low speed when the pump was built.

I guess that just shows how much I know about anything electrical.

I told the PB that the pump was only working at one speed and that I think its wired incorrectly. He told me that I need to use the switch on the back to change speeds (duh). I informed him that the switch has no apparent effect. I have not heard back from him yet.

Aside from this, this PB has been absolutely fantastic. They have done everything I could hope for and been more than responsive to every phone call and request. I would recommend them to anyone. The company owner is currently on vacation so this could be the reason why I am not getting the service I am used to. Unfortunately when he gets back next week, I will be on vacation.

I contacted Hayward regarding how the switch should be wired. I may take a look at it this evening.

Okay, I contacted Hayward regarding the pump and was told that the wiring should be as follows:

White (common) to Terminal 1
Yellow (high) to Terminal 2
Black (low) to Terminal 3/4

I opened up the pump and checked the wiring and everything looked correct. However when I checked the switch itself, i found that the yellow wire was attached to the lead on the high side of the switch, the black wire was attached to the center lead and the white wire was attached to the low side of the switch. There are no labels on these leads so I don't know which one is for which, but since it is just a simple switch, it seems to me that the common or hot wire should be attached to the middle lead with the high and low attached to high and low leads respectively. Does this make sense? I don't want to switch them around to check in case I blow something up.

Any ideas?

A typical toggle switch will have the terminals opposite the labels. So if the switch is in the down position, the center terminal will be connected to the upper terminal.

Also, the response you got from Hayward is different than what mine is. Mine uses the same wiring diagram at the 2nd to the bottom of this post.

Motor wires:
White to L2
Yellow to A

Switch Wires:
Black: Centrifugal switch to Low terminal (High Label)
Yellow: A to High terminal (Low Label)
Purple: L1 to Center

I think there are several motor versions that come with Superpumps so you may want to double check. Most have a wiring diagram on the outside of the motor housing as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wrote back to Hayward regarding my switch question and they told me that yes in fact the switch is wired up correctly. The white or common wire should be on the outside of the three poles and the yellow and black should be next to each other. Now I'm completely lost as to why it seems to only be running at one speed.

I have not heard back from the PB yet.

Starting to get frustrated......

Do you have an ohm meter? You could check continuity between the leads of the switch, without wires attached and power breaker off of course.

Unfortunately I don't and I'm leaving on vacation for a week tomorrow morning so I really don't have any more time to deal with this for now. I guess I'll just have to talk to the PB when I get back.

Thanks for the help. I'll post when I return.

Did this last spring... not hard. You have to switch a couple of the internal leads under the connection block on the motor for it to work w/ the canopy switch.

See the diagram on page 55 of this link to the ao smith motor manual. you or an electrician should be able to do this. I had to extend the yellow lead to get it to reach, but other than that, it's very easy.

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/WorkArea/l ... ItemID=588

good luck. let us know if the link does not work for you. i just came from it, so i know it is good. opens a pdf, so you'll need acrobat reader or foxit reader to see the manual.

BTW: 2-speed is the way to go and the conversion will save you more than enough to pay for the new motor in 1 year.

Heard back from the PB now that we're both back from vacation. He is having his electrician look at it and has ordered a two speed pump timer for me. He also said that if the pump cannot be set to run at two speeds, he will simply order a new one.

Thanks for the input everyone.

ssusca said:
Heard back from the PB now that we're both back from vacation. He is having his electrician look at it and has ordered a two speed pump timer for me. He also said that if the pump cannot be set to run at two speeds, he will simply order a new one.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Don't let them stick you for another pump! If it is truly a 2-speed pump, a good electrician should be able to wire it correctly with one of the following options... 1) 3 pos. toggle switch mounted on motor end cap (canopy), 2) external 3 position toggle in a separate box, 3) using a true 2 speed pump timer.

If the wires are just connected straight into the motor without any switching, you WILL only get a single speed (probably low).

please see the following and get the info to your electrician (from my post above)...
Did this last spring... not hard. You have to switch a couple of the internal leads under the connection block on the motor for it to work w/ the canopy switch.

See the diagram on page 55 of this link to the ao smith motor manual. you or an electrician should be able to do this. I had to extend the yellow lead to get it to reach, but other than that, it's very easy.

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/WorkArea/l ... ItemID=588 (note, this link will work in my earlier post, but may not work here since I just cut and pasted it in)

Well, my PB came through. Apparently there was something wrong with the pump so he installed a new one today. However now I am faced with the problem of low pressure not triggering the heater flow switch. Therefore the heater thinks there is no flow of water and will not turn on.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do about this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.