Hayward Super Pump trips breaker after ran dry

Thermosman

May 29, 2020
Massachusetts
Due to careless installation, the output tube on our pool pump (hayward super pump c48k2n143b1) popped off during operation during the night after opening our pool, and it ran for long enough to bring the water level below the skimmer, therefore resulting in the pump running dry for an unknown amount of time. Since then, I have been able to prime it and get it to start pumping, with significant visible flow at the skimmer, however, after about 15 seconds, it consistently trips our 15A breaker. Now I am aware that the pump draws maximum 15A, but this has never caused problems before, so I was wondering if anybody knows what might have caused this. My theory was that due to the unloaded and uncooled operation, thermal or physical damage to the motor and/or bearings resulted in increased internal rotational or winding resistance, causing higher current draw, but I have no idea if this would have actually happened. I've also read that damage to the seals would have likely resulted from running dry due to thermal buildup, which might cause problems if there was leakage between the inner and outer parts of the impeller, but due to the fact that it seems to prime properly, I'm not sure if this is the problem and even if it would lead to the tripping of the breaker.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

You go to MIT? The why doesn't matter. Your pump overheated and the motor is damaged. You need to replace the motor and the seals or replace the pump..

Due to careless installation, the output tube on our pool pump (hayward super pump c48k2n143b1) popped off during operation during the night after opening our pool, and it ran for long enough to bring the water level below the skimmer, therefore resulting in the pump running dry for an unknown amount of time. Since then, I have been able to prime it and get it to start pumping, with significant visible flow at the skimmer, however, after about 15 seconds, it consistently trips our 15A breaker. Now I am aware that the pump draws maximum 15A, but this has never caused problems before, so I was wondering if anybody knows what might have caused this. My theory was that due to the unloaded and uncooled operation, thermal or physical damage to the motor and/or bearings resulted in increased internal rotational or winding resistance, causing higher current draw, but I have no idea if this would have actually happened. I've also read that damage to the seals would have likely resulted from running dry due to thermal buildup, which might cause problems if there was leakage between the inner and outer parts of the impeller, but due to the fact that it seems to prime properly, I'm not sure if this is the problem and even if it would lead to the tripping of the breaker.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
What is the nameplate rating of the pump?

If your pump is drawing 15A, you need a 20A breaker and wire rated for 20A (assuming the electric run is under 100 ft., that would be 12awg wire).

You may have been lucky in the early stages of running your pump that you were not pulling as much amps. Now that you have possibly damaged the motor, you are pulling more amps. You need to install the correct breaker and wire.

Also, is it a GFCI breaker? It could also be tripping on ground fault due to motor winding insulation damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.