Hayward Super Pump is making a high-pitched screeching noise

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Bought it and installed in 2009, but then I noticed from my saved invoices that it was serviced by a local electric company back in '12 - work done mentions new seals as well as replacing the motor. Suggestions? They did the work in October so likely right after the pool was closed. Had it for awhile. Not good to take the pool out of service at this time. Just buy a new one?

Last edited:
MK...what would mine be...single speed? 2607X10 Hayward Super Pump. I know nothing about variable speed. Maybe give me a short primer on it. I'm looking at the Hayward site and have contacted two pool companies. This is what I have now. I'd want something that mounts exactly the same way on the existing platform without having to change anything around. At this point, the easiest possible fix is the best for me with being in the middle of the hot swimming season and a million other things to do.

If you need quick, replace the motor. No plumbing issues, etc. Starting next July, when your motor fails, you will be required to change to VS. Federal regulation starts then.

Online chat w/ Inyo Pools and they'll find you a replacement motor.

Thanks....might do that although I'm interested in this legislation. If VS is required next year, why not do it now? Local pool guy strongly suggests Pentair pumps. Says he installs them. He likes Whisperflo also.

Except...why would it fail in less than a year's worth of use? So this legislation is the for the entire US?
When you need to replace your pool pump motor starting in July 2021, you will have to replace it with a multi speed motor. California currently must follow the rule. The rest of the USA starts next year.

VS motors come with a timer/scheduler. The VS motor allows you to run the pump at a reduced rpm. Most of us with them use less than 200W per hour when the pump is running.

Reactions: guinness
Just been reading that there are potential problems with a VS motor (as in too much HP) for 1.5" plumbing - which is what I have. My pump is 1 HP. You refer to changing the motor. So if I'd have another Hayward motor (or if this one is still working), there will be replacement motors available for all these different pump models that are out there? That would seem like quite a cost to the industry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A VS motor is variable HP. The 1.5" plumbing is of no concern.

There will be replacement motors available. All ready are, as California pool owners follow the regulation now.

Contact InyoPools for available motors or complete pump systems.

I think for now I'll just go with a replacement motor, but aren't sure which of two 1HP Hayward motors is the correct one. Here is the Inyo Pools list and then here is a pic of the info on my motor. The amperage is what doesn't match up. One motor they have listed is 15/7.5 amps and the other is 11/5.5 (says "update EE motor" - presuming this refers to 'energy efficient'. Which is the right one?

Mine is screeching every time it starts up, then stops after a few minutes so no idea how long it'll keep running. Sounds normal all day long once the high pitch stops. The local pool tech said he has motors but I haven't heard more back from him. Hate to delay too long on this - have had enough issues for one summer already 😳
IMG_0526.jpeg

Last edited:
Your motor has a THP of 1.4. 1HP x 1.4SF = 1.4 THP.

The model shown by Inyopools is 1.1 THP.

Is the motor you have now original?

No...this one replaced the original in '09, and then was serviced in '12 for seals (although the invoice also says "replace motor per customer". Total charge was $265. So, quite honestly, not sure exactly what happened when it was in the shop. I had remembered that they replaced seals and bearings, but perhaps just replaced the motor? Too much has happened in the past 8 years to recall the details. What's confusing is that both the INYO motors refer to T1102 but the designation (in front of the T is different in both cases). One is UC and the other US.

OK....thanks! So the higher amperage model. I'm sure I could do this if getting off the impeller is not a big deal. A video I watched talks about shorting out the capacitor. I'd remember doing that - so must have disconnected the wiring at the timer box when I took it in for service. Then whatever gaskets, etc. come with should be no big deal either.

You have to order a GO kit along with the motor. The 'salt' version has higher quality seals, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.