Hayward pump question

Jul 11, 2016
Bensalem/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a DE Hayward Model EC40C90 Series, Pump model SP1580/TLFP, 1.0 Horsepower, Perflex filter model. It is for a 21" Round above ground pool. I've had this issue since it was new. I just opened the pool and the water was green. I turned on the pump, added proper chlorine and baking soda. The pump worked fine for a few hours then it gears down and has very low pressure. I back washed all the green stuff out, but it will still only run hard for a few minutes. I initially thought I had put too much DE in, but I used exactly what the book said. I backed off on the DE a little bit last year and I seemed to run fine. Any suggestions?

Your filter is REALLY good at filtering the algae in your pool, which clogs it up. Unfortunately, it is not good at killing it. For that, you need to follow the SLAM Process. To do so, you will need a top notch test kit. Here is a review of a couple of the best: Test Kits Compared.
Thanks for the response. I've started the SLAM process and it's getting better. I pulled apart the filter last night. There was no algea build up but the "fingers" inside were green. I cleaned them off and let it run all night. So I guess my question is: Why won't the filter still run at full capacity? Is it because those "fingers" inside were clogged with algea?

It's going to keep clogging as long as the SLAM is killing algae. If you still have an issue when the SLAM is over, you may need to clean the fingers with muriatic acid. I believe the manual has guidance on this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.