Hayward pump 8-9 feet above water line?

abcd1234

Jul 21, 2021
MA
I'm going to install an in ground pool in the backyard in the fall. The yard has a slope and I'm likely going to place the equipment close to the back of the house. That area is about 8-9 feet ABOVE the pool water line.

Any problems with placing a Hayward 950VSP or 3206VSP pump at that level?
Pentair mention in their manuals that they are good with 10ft above water level, but my PB uses Hayward.
Are there problems I should expect with such a setup?

Thanks

For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec. For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.

1.5"...........38...............51 gpm

2"..............63...............84 gpm

2.5............90.............119 gpm

3.0".........138.............184 gpm

4”...........234.............313 gpm

1627233531086.png

Due to the amount of static lift, the suction pipe should be upsized depending on the total flow.

I would use a minimum of 2.5" pipe for each skimmer and 2.5" pipe for the main drain.

You should have at least 2 skimmers.

Also,
What is the maximum amount of flow that you will need?

Will you have a hot tub as part of the build?

Are you doing an infinity edge pool?

Noob here, I don't really know the amount of flow I need..

No hot tub or infinity edge pool. The pool is a Leisure pools Pinnacle 40 rectangular pool. Size 40' x 15.5'.

I would put a check valve on the outlet of the pump.

You can also put valves for each suction line near the pool at ground level so that you can close the valves to prime the pump by filling the lines at the pump.

Once the lines are full, close the pump lid and open the valves.

The check valve will prevent the water from falling.

PB is quoting me one skimmer and insists I don't need more.
Skimmers should not be expected to provide more than 60 gpm and I would suggest a 45 gpm design maximum.

Whether you "need" more than 1 skimmer depends on how much total flow you need and if you will have a main drain.

I would want 2 skimmers even if you don't "need" two skimmers.

The static head loss is high enough that you need to reduce the dynamic head loss to compensate.

I would have 2 skimmers with a 2.5" line from each skimmer to the pump and a valve at ground level and by the pump to make it easier to prime the pump.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.