Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Auto Chlor SMC-30
Hello Everyone,

So my wife and I are building our pool. We’re through the major stages and just need plaster/pebbletech to finish. We’ve put the plumbing under pressure for the inspections and no issues. However, we recently discovered 2 of our PSV diverters are leaking between the cap and the housing. It’s just started in the past week and I don’t know why it would fail now, after being under 28-30 psi for several weeks. I pulled the cap off a 2 way diverted, lubed the o-ring, and replaced it. It held for a couple hours and then started leaking under no pressure. Then at the same time, a 3-way started leaking. I haven’t done anything to that one yet. Pictures are attached and I’m pointing to the leak.

I don’t want to cut these out and replace them - they’ve never been in service.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Help me Obi Pool Kenobi, you’re my only hope…..

Thanks!

Attachments

• 3351AE4E-23B9-4F62-A594-83A50110D85E.jpeg
    3351AE4E-23B9-4F62-A594-83A50110D85E.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 10
  • C6D7411C-69B2-43E2-B6DD-46AC040B5476.jpeg
    C6D7411C-69B2-43E2-B6DD-46AC040B5476.jpeg
    524.8 KB · Views: 9
What I read, it sounds like you left your plumbing air pressurised at 30psi for several weeks in the Arizona sun.

Assuming that, My guess is; at such high pressure with no moving water to keep the PVC fittings cool, they have softened and distorted from the sun's heat. If so, I doubt they can be repaired.

What I read, it sounds like you left your plumbing air pressurised at 30psi for several weeks in the Arizona sun.

Assuming that, My guess is; at such high pressure with no moving water to keep the PVC fittings cool, they have softened and distorted from the sun's heat. If so, I doubt they can be repaired.
Thanks for the feedback, Charlie. I hadn’t considered that. It had water in the lines, not air. Our temp hasn’t hit triple digits yet so I’m wondering if it did get so hot to deflect. PVC doesn’t deflect until 198F/92C. That’s close enough to boiling that my pressure should’ve shot up. Nonetheless, if that’s the root cause, I should start seeing leeks in the 6 other valves in the system….oh joy!

It does look like the valve lid is warped. They are available separately, but for the price it might make more sense to buy a new valve, remove the entire assembly and replace it with the new. Just try one. If it works, you know what to do with the rest. If not, you have a new valve to use. NEVER use a power screw driver to reassemble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.