Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I have a PL AQL PS-8 automations system with both a local and remote keypad. Today, both keypads became unresponsive. The display is working, and the keys sound when pressed, but the all the keys do not "function" (ie. do what they are programmed to do....). I've checked the fuses and the voltage, and there are no error messages appearing on either keypad. The main PCB was replaced 3 years ago (a burnt out relay), and evrything worked perfectly until now. Hayward doesn't publish any troubleshooting for the keypads.
(BTW, the AQL PS-8 works fine and according to the scheduled programming, with the default display showing on both keypads...???) Just no reaction from the keys...??
Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Usually when the buttons become unresponsive the fix is to replace the display board. Before you buy a new board you can try this repair sort of under Murphy's Laws....go ahead and try it, if you break it you had to replace it anyway:
  • Turn off the power to the panel
  • Remove SWG cord
  • Remove the 3 screws holding on the steel plate
  • Remove the display board (it sits on 4 nylon posts) and unplug (be sure to note orientation of wires, I don't think it was keyed)
  • Remove the screws holding in the pc board to the display unit and remove it. T6 screws hold the PCB to the case.
  • "button" pad will then be exposed, carefully peel back and look for discoloration/corrosion on the contacts
  • Clean carefully the pc board "contacts" with some q-tips dipped in alcohol
  • For heavier oxidation, try a pencil eraser but do not rub too hard - do not scrape with a sharp metal object or sandpaper
  • Clean rubber "button" pad with alcohol and let dry before reassembly
  • Power it back up and see how you made out

Here is a youtube video on cleaning the contacts for another piece of equipment to give you an idea how to clean the buttons, the principals are the same.

Here is a successful key cleaning thread.

Thanks. I had read your post before, and tried cleaning the LOCAL keypad. The contacts were very clean to begin with, but I did it anyway. Nothing changed.
Both the remote and the local keypads exhibit the same issue. (full display, key-touch sounds when pressed, zero functionality...)
The intriguing issue is the fact that BOTH keypads are exhibiting the same issue.... Could this be a bus problem?

I missed that both keypads became inop.

Did you power down the entire panel, wait 10 minutes, and power it up to reboot it?

Have you opened up the panel and examined the boards for any burnt components or solder points?

Check all wire connections.

Yes. Remember the keys still sound when depressed (beep), but the actual functionality does not work (ie. depressing the SERVICE key does not put the panel into SERVICE mode, even though the key "beeped")

It sort of points to something in your board got scrambled.

A new board is probably in your future.

Main board is only two years old.... Hopefully these don't fry every couple of years, because if I have to replace it again, it will be with an entirely new system from a different manufacturer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.