hayward pool pump 2hp sp1615-z-1 very loud noise. bearing?

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
Hi there.

motor noise link

I have this very loud noise which seems to get louder every day.

about 6 years ago pump was leaking and shaft seal was replaced which stopped the leak, but it kept leaking for a few hours may be a day or 2 every year when pool was opened in may.

This last winter the solid cover collapsed and lots of cover threads got into the pool. I closed bottom drain and used skimmers only to run pump while I was slamming. However, the cover threads got though the skimmer baskets and may got through the pump basket.

I think noise is coming from pump itself and not because something is blocked - I tried bypassing filter, closing skimmers, closing main drain.. noise stays the same (but seems to get louder every day)

Question:
1. do I need to attempt to fix it now or can it wait? if I wait can it cause more damage? I'd rather build the housing around the pump to bring the noise down than attempt to fix it in the rush
2. Could that shaft seal leak which didn't last long cause the bearing failure?

I can make video during the day tomorrow, but basically the noise will be the same may be louder.

thanks!

Last edited:
Your bearing are going out.. You can replace them or have someone else replace them.. get the bearing, rebuild kit and a salt or SCS seal then rip it apart and fix everything at once :)

Give Inyo a call and they can help with all of it..

Another option if the pump end is still good you can go to a VS pump and save MASSIVE amounts of money daily.. This is the way I went and love the V Green Motor.. :)

How much time do I have? Will it last another 2-3 months?
Can there be more damage if I wait?

as for VS pump -
  • would the motor be the only part needed, or other parts need to be replaced, like a shaft seal ?
  • How much would I save in electric cost? My hayward is 2hp, I run it 4hr a day. If I'm not mistaken electric cost is less than $1 a day at 14c kwh (2 HP x 746 W/HP / 1000 W/kW = 1.492 kWh or approximately 1.5 kWh every hour). Total cost for the season (4-5 months) may be $130.
thanks.

Last edited:
You would just need a rebuild kit and a salt or SCS seal to change out the motor..

Lets see, if you ran the VS motor 24/7 it would be about 10 dollars a month so 50 dollars, we will say 60 dollars for the year if you take the pump up to 1500 RPM for 6 hours a day.. I know run 1500 rpm 12 hours a day and it might cost me 100 dollars a year running 10 months..

That is not to mention how much better your filter will work by low and slow filtering... :)

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 4
With a 2hp motor now you will need to know what the total hp is.. I am no good at figuring out that hocus pokus they do... Call inyo and ask them... I went with the 1.65 but you may be able to get the 2.7... :)

It did on mine.. and I had a 2 speed 1 hp... at 800 RPM it is using a about a 40 watt light bulb, at 1500 RPM right now on mine it is like 120 watt light bulb :)

I think I'll try to fix mine before I spend the money. it seems like motors for mine went up in price too, I checked a few years ago they were around $200

Does it definitely sound like bearing going bad? no way it's something like solid cover threads in impeller?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your bearing are going out.. You can replace them or have someone else replace them.. get the bearing, rebuild kit and a salt or SCS seal then rip it apart and fix everything at once :)

Give Inyo a call and they can help with all of it..

Another option if the pump end is still good you can go to a VS pump and save MASSIVE amounts of money daily.. This is the way I went and love the V Green Motor.. :)
I went with another motor, slightly used one, different size, slightly lower thp (2.2 vs 2.4) but works and I'm happy for now.
However, I'd still like to try to rebuild the old one, who knows, maybe I'll want to use it one day. When you mention "rebuild kit", I assume you were talking about pump kit with seals (seal plate, defuser etc..)? not "rebuild kit" for the motor... Correct? Or is there a rebuild kit for the motor which would have bearings, gaskets, spacers, clips whatever is in there? My old motor is SP1615-Z-1-MNSC
Thanks.

Last edited:
If I went with replacement motor you recommend, which one would be the right one? My Hayward is 2HP single speed, running 4hr a day (4hr a day was recommended by Hayward).
ECM16CU
ECM27CU

Thanks.
You would need the ECM27CU, but it won't fit on a Northstar pump because of the locking collar that holds the pump together. Those pumps are notorious leakers at the seal, even if it is replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.