Hayward OmniPL Temperature Reading off by 5-6 degrees (direct sun vs shade)

tech135797531

Jun 14, 2019
FL
3 weeks ago I had an OmniPL installed by my local Pinch a Penny. I didn't have the option to do it myself. After a week I noticed that the morning temp reading was about 5-6 degrees over the real temp but towards the evening it would get close to reality.

They came back and said that it's because my pool equipment gets morning sun and afternoon shade. They manually adjusted the temp in the configs by -5 degrees. Obviously, now it will be accurate in the morning and 5 degrees lower in the afternoon. When they installed the temp sensor, they put it on top of the pipe going from the pump to the filter. I don't know if the sensor doesn't like direct sunlight or there's enough heat being transferred into the water through the pipes. So if the sensor is always affected by the direct sunlight, how the heck is one supposed to know what temp to set the heater to. When it's high in the morning, it will stop 5 degrees short. If I set it 5 degrees high in anticipation of the difference and in the meantime the sun goes over the house, the heater will run 5 extra degrees. And if I leave it low, there are 2 other branches to the solution tree. They said that this is typical of all automation systems. Has anyone found a solution?

For what it's worth, the only way to get an accurate temp (other than a thermometer) is to go to the salt cell diagnostics which show me the temp from the salt cell. It's also in the sun but apparently the sensor is somewhere in the center. Thank you!

Are you talking about the air temperature sensor or the water temperature sensor?

I have found the air temperature sensor can be affected by sun and shade.

The water temperature sensor is in a PVC pipe and has water flowing over it and should not ne affected by the sun.

Post pics of your equipment pad showing your temperature sensors.

I have attached a pic of the equipment. I am not talking about air temp, but I am talking about water temp, temp that the OmniPL system fetches from the water sensor that's drilled into the PVC pipe in between the pump and filter. As I said, the only accurate water reading comes from the salt cell but that's not used for anything.

Attachments

• equipment.jpg
    equipment.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 10
If the reading in the salt cell is closer to actual, move the sensor to the pipe after the filter. That's the water the cell is reading.
For longer life of the temp sensor, that is the best place for it anyway, where I have always installed them. Re-adjust the Omni back to OEM setting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.