Hayward heater IF error

Listen carefully to the heat exchanger when you turn the pump off to see if you can hear air getting sucked in.
Ok good tip. Assume I need to get the case of the heater off to stand a chance at hearing anything

I still don’t know how to take it apart

Oh wow. What causes an igniter to look like this? Here is before and after cleaning.

Attachments

• D4C4FFB8-0F16-4248-AEFC-E734D388DDF4.jpeg
    D4C4FFB8-0F16-4248-AEFC-E734D388DDF4.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2CC162C0-F8CC-4AC5-B4B5-E1C9F4411347.jpeg
    2CC162C0-F8CC-4AC5-B4B5-E1C9F4411347.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 4EE9D232-787E-4506-8E2D-D31B95CC51C3.jpeg
    4EE9D232-787E-4506-8E2D-D31B95CC51C3.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 8
Cleaned. Tested igniter and it’s getting hot but NOT glowing red. Still cycling to an IF error. It sounds like gas is getting ignited. You can hear the whoosh although maybe not as loud as typically.

Update: found a dead spider tucked in one of the injectors behind a big web. Wow. And the pool tech said he “cleaned” them. Right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Below it. A few feet maybe? Why?
If the heater was above the pool, air would get sucked in at the leak point.

If the heater is below the pool, air will not get sucked in.

I suspect that the heat exchanger is leaking, which usually means the heater is not worth fixing.

If the heater is more than a couple of feet below the pool surface, the heater pressure switch can be activated by the water pressure from the height of the water with no flow, which would ruin the heat exchanger.

Once the combustion chamber insulation gets soaked, the heater is not going to work right.

Don't even try to run the heater until the leak is identified.

Reactions: setsailsoon

I suspect that the heat exchanger is leaking, which usually means the heater is not worth fixing.

If the heater is more than a couple of feet below the pool surface, the heater pressure switch can be activated by the water pressure from the height of the water with no flow, which would ruin the heat exchanger.

Once the combustion chamber insulation gets soaked, the heater is not going to work right.

how do I keep this from happening again with a new heater? What if a new one is installed below the surface of the pool in the same place?

got it open enough to snap some pictures. The fins are blue in a lot of places. Cause? High chlorine? Could it be that the check valve between the SWG and the heater is damaged? When pump is off the check value doesn’t look like it closes all the way and the flange looks a bit warped.

Attachments

• B2D80FA8-87DB-4450-A7FC-484360C9C287.jpeg
    B2D80FA8-87DB-4450-A7FC-484360C9C287.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 7
  • A91C0EAB-A734-4CF4-B19B-288818EC1CEB.jpeg
    A91C0EAB-A734-4CF4-B19B-288818EC1CEB.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 7

And to be clear, the heater never ran with the pump off so i believe the pressure switch was adequately set so as not to allow the heater to turn on with the pump off.

The manual will specify the allowable height differential. The pressure switch can be adjusted somewhat. If the height differential is too much, you have to install a flow switch.

The manual will specify the allowable height differential. The pressure switch can be adjusted somewhat. If the height differential is too much, you have to install a flow switch.
Gotcha. Posted some pictures. The fins don’t look annealed or anything. Just blue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.