Hayward H250 Heater problems

saintbreese

May 26, 2015
Kane, Pa.
I have an older hayward H250 dual thermostat, electronic ign.. When I turn it on it only runs about 3-5 seconds and shuts off. I have jumper wire the pressure switch control, the pressure switches on the headers, 3 limit switches on the front internals. I jumped them individually and then all at once, nothing helps. The inside of the tubes look like new. There was some corrasion built up externally, I cleaned them and you can see down to the burners. There is a new cartridge filter so the water flow is good. One thing I noticed before this problem the water from the heater to the pool was way hotter than normal. I am not familiar with any of the other electronics or the gas valve. Wondering if these components might be causing the problem.

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Did you clean out the venturi nozzles?

What was the code on the panel when the flame goes out?

swamprat69

Mar 30, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Photos of full model number, gas valve/burner section and control section with panel off/tilted out would be helpful. It sounds like you may not be proving flame. Any Fenwal ignition control fault codes flashing?

danpik

TFP Guide
Jun 4, 2012
western NY
3-5 seconds is the free run time a gas valve gets prior to flame sensing. Pull and clean the flame sensor with fine steel wool or use a dollar bill folded and rubbed on the sensor to polish it.

saintbreese

May 26, 2015
Kane, Pa.
Photos of full model number, gas valve/burner section and control section with panel off/tilted out would be helpful. It sounds like you may not be proving flame. Any Fenwal ignition control fault codes flashing?

saintbreese

May 26, 2015
Kane, Pa.
3-5 seconds is the free run time a gas valve gets prior to flame sensing. Pull and clean the flame sensor with fine steel wool or use a dollar bill folded and rubbed on the sensor to polish it.
the flame sensor is only a couple yrs old, I did the cleaning even though it looked like new. I think the key may be the water coming out of the heater was way hotter than normal before I encountered this problem??

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread