Hayward H-200 Stalling - Just Opened

Floater22

May 2, 2020
WNY
I have a new-to-me Hayward “H series” H-200 natural gas heater (millivolt). I opened this weekend and can’t get the unit working properly.

I was having trouble with the pilot light and eventually got it lit with the help of a friend. When it’s lit it is very faint. Can hardly even see the flame through the sight hole. First question is how prominent the flame should be?

So, pilot is lit, close it up and go to run it. It seems to take longer than it should to start, and when it does it’s somewhat abrupt/dramatic how it lights up. Once finally running you can feel a ton of heat coming out the top (like it’s running fine), but then no hot water out of the return in the pool. It feels ice cold (water is 50F). The unit then shuts off, pilot still lit.

As I mentioned, I’m skeptical that the pilot is sufficiently lit. I know it’s very common for these to get clogged with cobwebs and such after winter, but it doesn’t seem simple or obvious to clean. Any tips there?

My only other thought is that there is a bad sensor shutting the unit down before actually sending hot water to the pool?

Only other info I think is relevant, the pool was professionally winterized fall of 19. It appears they didn’t disconnect the pressure valve on the unit as they should have. However, it isn’t leaking water, so a non-issue, right?

Thanks0813BE27-A416-47A7-A302-F019BBA8744B.jpeg

Bumping this, and also the more I think about this, it seems like the pressure switch. Even though it’s starting rough, I know it’s creating heat. The one thing that would prevent flow from the unit into the pool would be the pressure switch, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.