Hayward flow switch...

Use a multimeter and check the continuity. The multimeter will show if the switch closes and also that there is close to 0 ohms resistance when closed.

The connector end of the wire that plugs into the Aquarite box.

Center pins 3 &4 on the plug.

Hayward_Aquarite_GLX-PCB-XXXX_RJ11_PinOut.jpg

Thanks again. I'll get a meter.
Meanwhile, I took a second flow switch and plugged it in to the control unit (leaving the original installed) and taped the paddle to the main arm. Shouldn't that cut the red light off? It didn't......

It is not a light switch to turn the light on and off.

Try holding the switch closed for a minute or two and give the panel time to respond.

The flow switch light will blink for about 30 seconds from the time it detects a closed flow switch and then the light should go out.

If the light is on steady, then it thinks that the flow switch is open.

You can use an old phone plug with the wires twisted together to simulate a closed flow switch. Test only. Do not leave it like that.

Your profile says SWG Pentair IC 60 but your subject line says

Hayward flow switch...​

What system are we talking about?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your profile says SWG Pentair IC 60 but your subject line says

Hayward flow switch...​

What system are we talking about?
I am guessing, the OP is helping out his neighbor who owns a Hayward swcg.
Thanks, I'll check that tonight.
If I take the old phone plug and twist the wires together and the light stays on, what does that tell me?
You need to remove the mainboard and inspect the conn jack for dirt, corrosion, bent or broken pin. Make sure pins 3 & 4 of the conn jack are making good contact with the mating plug. Please reference the link in post #4 if you need to replace the conn jack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.