Hayward Ecostar variable speed pump

sisterkix

Feb 25, 2019
Las Vegas, NV (89117)
I wish I had not bought into the claim that this pump will save me money. my first Hayward vsp lasted about 5 years. I replaced it with the same pump. Now about 3 years later the second one is making a loud whining noise. It runs great but the whine is deafening and I expect it to die anytime. So in 8 years I have spent over $2000 in the Hayward vsp and soon another one will cost over $1000. Where is the savings in that? I'm wondering if I should try the Pentaire intelliflo or go back to a standard pump. Any suggestions?

I have the Hayward Commander automation and wondering if it will work with the Pentaire or standard pump.

Thank you!

I have the Hayward and in the years I've owned it they replaced the entire pump once, and the 'drive' twice. Right now it's dead again with a "drive stalled" error.

Not a chance in the world I'll put another one in. I won't even go to the Pentair; I'm done with that fragile technology and the price tag that goes along with it. I'm going to a simple two speed motor and a simple pump that needs bearings and capacitors from time to time.

Sure they're cool and actually do reduce the costs of running a pool. But that doesn't compare to the high cost of the pump, and replacing various components as they die. They are quiet, but so is low on a two speed pump. The headaches of trying to come up with the money each time they Crud out is not something I want to put up with anymore.

Maybe I can repurpose the motor to my drill press and a three phase controller off ebay. At least I would have a nice drill press motor out of all the stuff I put up with over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sis & Dray, I feel your pain...

To address the immediate concern, you should be able to get those bearings or motor replaced at no charge under warranty...Hayward has had so much trouble w that eco vsp that they fix it up to 4 yrs...But, I agree I would NEVER buy that pump again.

As far as VSP's , some users here run the pentair intelliflo 7x24 at 1000rpm and pay $20 bucks a month electric bill...and they run 5-7 yrs and still going. yes, VSP's are more sensitive, but here are a few musts:

* have to install a Surge Protector, preferably in your pool panel or in the top of the house panel closest to pool panel breaker
* VSP must have it's own 20amp DP GFCI breaker. The Siemens brand does best w the highest mA range
* make sure they do not sit in the direct sun and have proper ventilation
* do not run them at max RPM's [3470] ever and really never over 2999 RPM's
* avoid as many start-ups and cut-off's as possible...cranking them is the hardest thing on them...there's a reason that someone gets 7+ yrs useful life if they are running them 7x24

I'm sure some of the Pentair VSP folks will chime in...

Call Hayward and tell them you wish to have warranty work on your pump...

if you get the drill press to work, pls post a pic...be careful

Last edited:
I did the two-speed motor thing I discussed above. It was cool. What the guys did at the pool pump place was keep the impeller housing and such, then pull the drive and motor; replacing it with a 2+ HP two speed motor. I brought the drive and motor home for the drill press experiment in a few weeks.

The new motor installed with the housing and all new gaskets and such was $535, and all I have to do now is replace bearings and capacitors as they wear out. I still haven't put it in, that will probably happen tomorrow because I have to run another wire for low speed and I want to get some colored wire for easier maintenance later. The plumbing all works without change since they kept the actual pump portion the same.

I really like the idea of having the control of speed that I had sporadically over the years with the Hayward vsp, but not at the cost and aggravation I went through. Those drive units were $650 at the pool place. Since I was an early adopter of the technology, they wouldn't warranty anything, and I couldn't get them to even talk about it.

The guys at the repair place had four, yes four, of them up on the counter for repair that came in this week. Now there are a whole lot of swimming pools in my area, but it certainly wasn't good advertising for Hayward if someone walked in. The litany of problem descriptions they went through while I was waiting made me feel somewhat better because "misery loves company."

I probably won't even think about vsp pumps in the future, but the idea is wonderful. The technology for pools is too new, even now, for me to trust it.

Good for you Dray / glad it worked out but I wouldn't bet my life on a Hayward drill press w that controller...be careful

Hayward should have done the right thing and recalled the EcoStarless and replaced it w a Pentair Intelliflo. By far, that's the VSP pump of choice...good luck

D,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going with a 2-speed pump.. I totally agree that it takes out the weak link that VS pumps all have...

That said, you are painting VS pumps with a pretty wide brush... In my mind the problems you had are related more to your specific model of pump.

Everyone is different of course, so there is no one answer, but in my case, if one of my three Pentair IntelliFlo pumps bites the dust, I will have another one on my porch the next day... :)

Having a VS pump is an integral part of the way I operate my pools.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Actually Jim, you're right. Sorry, I was ticked off at the pump and went a little overboard. I bet we've all done that from time to time. However, Hayward is still on my list as someone not to deal with (if possible). They should have recalled that hunk of metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.