Hayward EcoStar Var Speed Error Message - Key Error 68

Apr 27, 2016
Phoenix
I've got the Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, and at some point this week the thing turned on by itself and started running in Quick Clean. When I heard it running this afternoon, I went out to turn it off but none of the buttons were working, so I killed power at the switch (not breaker in panel) next to the pump. When I restored power, I get the message Keypad failed Key Error: 68.

Now it won't restart, and I'm stuck with the same Error 68 on the display. When I press different buttons, the error number changes, but always goes back to 68 whenever I release whatever button I'm pressing.

I took the control panel off and noticed water underneath, so the only thing I can think of is that water somehow got in there and shorted out the board. We did get some pretty good rain earlier in the week, and the plastic covering over the buttons is cracked and the lid was up, so I guess it's possible water got in that way. I honestly don't know.

Has anyone else run into this code before? I've Googled everything I can think of and haven't found anything too enlightening. At this point, it looks like I'm just going to have to replace the control panel, unless anyone has any other suggestions, which would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How old is the pump? I might be able to help. This is not a common code. Problem depends on when the pump was manufactured. If you want to talk with me PM your phone number or call our tech line.

Appreciate the offer -- sorry it's taken me so long to reply. The pump was installed in March of 2014, I believe. However, we are not the original owners (installed prior to our buying the house) so I'm guessing that any warranty that might be left wouldn't transfer.

Interesting thing is, I woke up the day after my original post and the pump was running, just at a higher rpm. I went and checked the buttons, but they still didn't work, so it seemed like those were still bad but at least the timer still worked. However, later that afternoon, I checked the pump again and the buttons seemed to be working just fine. I reset all my timers and settings, and since then everything looks like it's working okay.

That being said, I'm still going to put in a call to the tech line just to start a convo with them and figure out if there's anything else I should be doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.