Hayward DE4820 2" ports with 1.5" plumbing OK?

MarD

Apr 14, 2016
PLAINVIEW
Can I use the DE4820 that has 2" openings with 1.5" plumbing? I ordered the DE filter not thinking about the plumbing size. I am currently using a 20+ year old Hayward S200.
Also, what HP VS pump would work well with the DE4820?

Thanks!
Mario

25K gallon 16x32 IGP vinyl liner
current setup: Hayward S200, 1.5HP Superpump, Hayward H400 heater, 1.5" plumbing

Can I use the DE4820 that has 2" openings with 1.5" plumbing? I ordered the DE filter not thinking about the plumbing size. I am currently using a 20+ year old Hayward S200.

Yes.

Also, what HP VS pump would work well with the DE4820?

Superpump VS or TriStar VS. Don't touch the Ecostar pumps.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarD
You intend to connect it to automation?
Yes. Either by using the Dewenwils or the Pentair Intelliconnect 523317:

DEWENWILS Outdoor Smart Wi-Fi Outlet Box, Heavy Duty 40A 120VAC 2HP Wireless Controller Timer Switch for Pool Water Heater SPA, Compatible with Smart Phone, Alexa, UL Listed
DEWENWILS Outdoor Smart Wi-Fi Outlet Box, Heavy Duty 40A 120VAC 2HP Wireless Controller Timer Switch for Pool Water Heater SPA, Compatible with Smart Phone, Alexa, UL Listed: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Thanks!

I don’t recommend the IntelliConnect right now until Pentair improves its cloud server and app. Read Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading

If you want to connect to Pentair automation best to use an IntelliFlo pump.
Thanks Allen! I did hear the app/web inteface was slow and had issues. I also read that Pentair is supposedly coming out with a new app.
I assume the IntelliFlo pump will provide GPM through the app vs only on/off function with a Hayward pump?
When I called Pentair they were not very happy about providing information to me when using a 3rd party vendor's products.

You only get GPM if you get the IntelliFlo VSF pump. Even then it is not a precise measurements s it is derived from pump speed and pressures. I am not sure how it displays on the automation app but it displays on the pump control panel. I think it is data but not information.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will a 3HP VS be too powerful

No, you rarely, if ever, run a high HP VS pump at full RPM. A variable speed pump is variable HP. You adjust the RPM to meet the need of your filter and SWG.

and if run on lower RPM/GPM speed will it be sufficient flow for SWG?

It will be fine. Lots of us are running them that way.

One pool contractor told me that I should stick with Hayward Superpump 1.5HP since I will likely need to run Pentair Intelliflo VSF at or close to 100% to satisfy Hayward H400 heater's minimum flow and SWG flow. Therefore, he thinks I won't be saving much, if any, money in electric. I live on Long Island, New York and have my pool opened around 4 months (5/1-9/15). I usually run my heater as needed for about 4-6 hours before swimming (wife likes the pool at >=86 degrees :rolleyes:) Figured Pentair will cost about $1,400 installed - $450 in rebates - SuperPump (sell for $150-$200) = $800-$850 cost. Thoughts?

Your pool contractor does not know what he is talking about. Or giving you nonsense to steer you to what he wants to sell.

Both pumps will work equally well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.