Hayward ColorLogic V4 lights not as nice as original ColorLogic

Aug 11, 2012
New York
Sorry I need to rant a little bit. Our pool had a pair of Hayward ColorLogic lights, the original versions that worked very well for 14 years until one of them started popping the GFI. I figured we might as well replace both to make sure the colors matched, and if one light went bad the other was probably not far behind. So we had two new lights installed, ColorLogic V4 as they are now known.

At first the lights would not sync, no matter what we tried. The one furthest from the jbox, about 60 feet, would double-flash every time the lights turned on which screwed up the sync pattern. They ended up replacing that one with another new one (under warranty) and now they sync ok. I felt bad for the installers since it was a ***** for them to snake that long cable through the conduit, not once, but twice.

So both lights are now working again but I have to say I'm really disappointed in the V4 lights. The originals had several very pleasing light patterns that smoothly faded from one color to another, in particular a nice dark blue/light blue/green pattern that looked fantastic. The V4 aesthetics, to be honest, suck. Color fading options are much more limited, use colors that don't work as well together, and don't fade smoothly like the originals. If I had known I would have tried some other brand of light. How Hayward allowed this redesign into production is beyond comprehension. It's awful.

Ok I feel better now. Wondering what others' experiences with ColorLogic V4's have been.

Sorry I need to rant a little bit. Our pool had a pair of Hayward ColorLogic lights, the original versions that worked very well for 14 years until one of them started popping the GFI. I figured we might as well replace both to make sure the colors matched, and if one light went bad the other was probably not far behind. So we had two new lights installed, ColorLogic V4 as they are now known.

At first the lights would not sync, no matter what we tried. The one furthest from the jbox, about 60 feet, would double-flash every time the lights turned on which screwed up the sync pattern. They ended up replacing that one with another new one (under warranty) and now they sync ok. I felt bad for the installers since it was a ***** for them to snake that long cable through the conduit, not once, but twice.

So both lights are now working again but I have to say I'm really disappointed in the V4 lights. The originals had several very pleasing light patterns that smoothly faded from one color to another, in particular a nice dark blue/light blue/green pattern that looked fantastic. The V4 aesthetics, to be honest, suck. Color fading options are much more limited, use colors that don't work as well together, and don't fade smoothly like the originals. If I had known I would have tried some other brand of light. How Hayward allowed this redesign into production is beyond comprehension. It's awful.

Ok I feel better now. Wondering what others' experiences with ColorLogic V4's have been.
Not to add salt to the wound, but from one who used to, but will no longer, sell any colored LED light, if you want a color changing system, get a standard light fixture that will fit your niche and install a color-changing bulb into it. When that dies, reinstall the white bulb and save a bunch of money, time, aggravation. None of the lights available at present last long enough to justify their very high cost IMHO.

Not to add salt to the wound, but from one who used to, but will no longer, sell any colored LED light, if you want a color changing system, get a standard light fixture that will fit your niche and install a color-changing bulb into it. When that dies, reinstall the white bulb and save a bunch of money, time, aggravation. None of the lights available at present last long enough to justify their very high cost IMHO.
pman,'

Why has the quality of the color lights gone down so much? I too like all the color my current HW color LED lights emit...going to just white would be pretty boring, but not into the replacement game every X yrs and light quality is poor !

pman,'

Why has the quality of the color lights gone down so much? I too like all the color my current HW color LED lights emit...going to just white would be pretty boring, but not into the replacement game every X yrs and light quality is poor !
The first color changing lights actually worked longer and had replaceable parts, bulbs, dichroic color lenses, very tiny (literally the size of the tip of your thumb) motors to rotate the colors, small "computers" to adjust rudimentary colors/light shows. Very heavy, complicated, and cost as much in the late 90's as new ones cost today (30-year-old money was worth more). LED systems are cheap, easy to manufacture, easy to install, offer more options, and are considered "throw-away", like virtually everything else electronic now (smart phone, tablet, laptop). In today's money they would probably cost around $2000.00. To keep the costs as "low" as they are something has to give and in this case it is reliability.

The first color changing lights actually worked longer and had replaceable parts, bulbs, dichroic color lenses, very tiny (literally the size of the tip of your thumb) motors to rotate the colors, small "computers" to adjust rudimentary colors/light shows. Very heavy, complicated, and cost as much in the late 90's as new ones cost today (30-year-old money was worth more). LED systems are cheap, easy to manufacture, easy to install, offer more options, and are considered "throw-away", like virtually everything else electronic now (smart phone, tablet, laptop). In today's money they would probably cost around $2000.00. To keep the costs as "low" as they are something has to give and in this case it is reliability.

Thanks and fair enough. Everything is almost built for planned obsolescence and planned failure dates, esp pool robots now too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.