Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hey TFP -

Yesterday, I went to check the water temp on my control panel and found the Hayward AquaRite salt chlorine generator reporting a low salt level ( 1400 ppm) and prompting me to check the cell. The salt level went from normal parameters to that 1400 ppm figure essentially overnight. I've used a Taylor drop kit to test the salt level multiple times and it comes in at the panel's advertised ideal level of 3200. The instant salt rating on the panel does sometimes report close to -3200 when the system is powered off and on, but then drops off to 0 and the warning lights reappear. I was able to "update" the average salt level to that figure instant reading once, but it didn't take long for the readings to drop off again and the warning lights to reappear.

What accounts for the disparity in the readings?

The cell looks fine but I'm currently cleaning it anyway. While it's soaking, I've swapped out my current t15 cell for an old t3 (yes, I changed the setting on the control panel) so the water can continue to circulate, and it still is giving me low salt readings. Chlorine levels are good for now, but it's going to be 90+ here in PA today, so I'll probably have to start manual dosing chlorine until I can figure this out.

Any advise for next steps/troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I've learned so much on this forum. I hope that trend continues.

Should I wait to report the diagnostics until the T15 is finished soaking and reinstalled or is it still useful to report the findings while I have the older T3 in place while the T15 soaks? Thanks for your help!

Reinstall the T15. Was there visible scale in the cell? Soaking in acid lowers the life of the cell by an appreciable amount. Only do that if scale cannot be removed with a stream of water.

Reinstall the T15. Was there visible scale in the cell? Soaking in acid lowers the life of the cell by an appreciable amount. Only do that if scale cannot be removed with a stream of water.
No visible scaling, it's currently soaking in white distilled vinegar, no acid.

OK... thanks for the help thus far. Here's the info:

switch set from auto to off:

33P
AL1
R1.59
T15

switch set from off to auto:
33P
AL1
R1.59
T15

switched off for a minute and back to auto:

33P
AL1
R1.59
T15

first 7 of cell: 3E18156

box serial #: AQR3 3A16260-103361

Thanks again...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update the average salinity.

Is the cell still powered when the pump is off?

If yes, the flow switch might be stuck closed and causing the cell to run with no flow.
Thank you for the suggestion. I've done this previously, when I got the -3200 instant reading, but the update only stayed in range for a moment before going back to the out of parameter figures and the check salt and cell warning lights came back on.

I just went to do it again as per your suggestion, but the average was now 0, as was the instant reading. I flip it from auto to off and back to auto again and then got a -3200 for the instant reading again. I updated it successfully, for now. If it reverts to an out of range number again as it did previously, what would you suggest next?

As for your power question, the cell is not powered when the pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.