Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Being in the demolition industry I stumble across a lot of stuff, yesterday I show up to look at a house and pool we are going to demo and find what looks to be a fairly new aquarite SWG system with a T cell-15 which is for a 40k pool.

Im going to install this on my pool, my question is... can this be installed without a timer or automation system? I want to wire it to direct power because I’m using a variable speed pump.

NO, the vs pump can run 24/7 but you can't rely on the flow switch as per TFP that's considered a secondary safety and we highly recommend a timer to rid the cell of power.
So should I just run it 24/7 at a very low speed? If so what RPM would you recommend? Just a basic 15k pool no heater or spa.

Will this use a ton more power than running my previous 1hp single speed pump for 5 hours? Or should I just get a timer for the SWG?

Start at 1,000 rpm and increase the speed by 100 rpm until the NO FLOW message is gone. Then increase your speed by 200 rpm and you are there.

It should take less electricity then your old pump.

Reactions: MA5177 and wireform
First, be sure to test and install the flow switch. Secondly, timers are cheap and installing one is no big deal. That way you just set the timer to run during a time when you are sure the pump is running, and you have a safe system. The pump speed required will vary from one pool to another depending on several factors (plumping layout, filter type, even how clean the filter is at the time). Mine requires 1400 rpm. I run it at 1600 to be safe.

BTW you say the system looks fair new, but that’s no assurance that the cell is not depleted. If you post the serial number on the cell, we can at least tell you when it was manufactured.

Last edited:
Reactions: MA5177
So should I just run it 24/7 at a very low speed? If so what RPM would you recommend? Just a basic 15k pool no heater or spa.

Will this use a ton more power than running my previous 1hp single speed pump for 5 hours? Or should I just get a timer for the SWG?
No it won't use more and actually it has been said here some have experienced $20 per month running it 24/7 this way.

Reactions: MA5177
First, be sure to test and install the flow switch. Secondly, timers are cheap and installing one is no big deal. That way you just set the timer to run during a time when you are sure the pump is running, and you have a safe system. The pump speed required will vary from one pool to another depending on several factors (plumping layout, filter type, even how clean the filter is at the time). Mine requires 1400 rpm. I run it at 1600 to be safe.

BTW you say the system looks fair new, but that’s no assurance that the cell is not depleted. If you post the serial number on the cell, we can at least tell you when it was manufactured.
Ok great thanks I will do so later when I get home. This unit was actually installed on a large in ground spa, and was set at 10%

Here is the number i found on the cell, it’s a T cell-15. 5E0707-2045918.

Couldn’t find a number on the aquarite power unit , but it’s in a waterproof metal box and looks pretty clean inside. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like July 2007
You might want to take it to a Hayward dealer and have it tested.. what is the status of the components in the controller?.. have you inspected the internals?
I opened up the panel and it looks like new inside, this unit was way oversized for what is was being used for. It was on an in ground spa. Was set at 10% output and looks fairly clean inside. But being 14 years old I’m sure it’s toast and not worth installing thanks for saving me a lot of trouble

It is worth giving it a try. Lightly used it can last quite a while.

The part that typically fails in the controller is the thermistor.. its about the size of a quarter and black. Also check for discoloration on the PCB's from things over heating. Here is the Wiki on troubleshooting that particular unit. That whole wiki article might be useful for you.

It's possible the controller is fine and the cell is spent, that why testing the cell would be useful. OR the controller failed and the cell sat there unused for ages.. Either way I think you scored a good one. Replacement parts for both are easy to come by. Once you get it plugged in and fired up we can get the diag codes off it and see what's going on. Also, don't forget to get the flow switch and the unions that connect the cell to the pipe.

My son is using a Hayward SWG manufactured in 2005. The cell has been replaced, but the controller is still going strong. They last a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.