Aug 26, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all -

I hope everyone is staying safe during these trying times! I have an issue with my Hayward AquaConnect system. I noticed on the phone app a "lost link" message and then logged into the AquaConnect website where the "Unit not communicating with cloud server for xx days" error was showing.

I'm fairly technical and have a good understanding of networking and ran the troubleshooting steps. The device is connected via RF to the panel, and after performing a signal test all 4 lights illuminate. I replaced the network cable and plugged it directly into my router to bypass any of the house network.

I have tried to connect to the local IP number of the device to use its webinterface. I can get a connection however its slow and times out. It will control the pool but is not reliable...appears the connection to the Hayward gateway is intermittent.

What's wierd and normally the RF, TX, and RX lights are solid and the Link light flashes every few seconds. Since this I've noticed this issue the RF and RX lights are steady, but TX is flashing in a rapid but not constant pattern. The link light never lights up.

I tried to call Hayward but they didn't seen interested in helping and referred me to a dealer. I have not yet called a dealer as I suspect (1) a service call will be needed and I really don't want someone in my house right now or (2) it will be a "this device is out of warranty" discussion. Looking on Amazon the gateway is $500...which seems crazy expensive.

Any ideas on a resolution???

Thanks all!
Chris

Did you reboot the AquaConnect? Flip the CB off, wait 5 minutes, and power it back up?

Link light should be blinking.

page 11 says...

ACHN is not communicating with the web site and the LINK LED is OFF. Even if you aren’t using the web site or the local server, the LINK LED should blink ON at least four times a minute. Verify that the Internet connection to the home hasn’t gone down. Try logging on to the web site to make sure that the web site isn’t experiencing difficulties.

Try redoing the training beginning on page 1.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and the additional thoughts! I've powered off the panel, waiting about 10 minutes (while I did my water chemistry check) and proceeded with the training instructions.

Was able to get a successful "teaching" completed, the moved onto the range test...which passed with 3-4 lights.

Still no-dice with the link. The local server option is kinda working. The page will come up and the status is mirror on the front-panel, see attached picture, but the controls do not seem responsive.

I took a quick video of the lights:

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-25 120553.png
    Annotation 2020-04-25 120553.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 15
Quick update - I may have figured it out!!!!

About 12 days ago I switched my router to use 1.1.1.1 as the DNS provider rather than the default DNS provider. Looking back that's when the portal is reporting lost link.

I reverted the router settings back to the default and after unplugging the AquaConnect gateway the link link is blinking again.

The app and website are still showing disconnected and the Link light seems to be blinking some type of error code.

Its blinking 1-1-2
One blink, off for a second, One blink, off for a second, 2 blinks......repeat

I feel like I'm getting somewhere, just not sure how to re-establish the link and or clear this blinking code...

I would go back to square 1 and redo the teaching.

Thanks ajw22. Looks like once it stayed connected long enough the errors cleared by themselves.

Seems to be some issue with the DNS settings the Hayward/Goldline unit is looking for that CloudFlare isn't supporting. Strange. Perhaps when I have time I'll do some network sniffing to see what hostnames the unit is trying to resolve and log a ticket with CloudFlare.

We see a bunch of automation systems that can't connect to the net after router changes. It has mostly been due to IP addressing problems but you may have discovered one of the other causes with some popular DNS services not working with the antiquated ways of pool equipment.

Yup, I've stumbled into this with other building automation products. I ended up creating a local network at the house just for the Hayward unit which leverages the default DNS provider and then moving the rest of the network back to CloudFlare. CloudFlare has some nice features with Malware and Content blocking that comes in handy with having little eyes in the house. Everything seems stable now, fingers crossed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! This helped a lot. I had exactly the same problem (“link lost” and I recently switched to Cloudflare DNS server). I have been struggling with this problem for days and days. Thank you!!!!

Same thing seems to have started happening with google dns as well.
Soon no public dns servers will support whatever type of dns the device is sending.
Maybe sending large tcp dns packets? Makes no sense why tho. Unless the internal software was developed really crappy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.