Hayward Aqua Rite won't calibrate. Is this a problem?

It's actually a Aqua Nature. Not sure of the difference. Anyhow, brand new T5 Turbo salt cell. Definitely generating plenty of chlorine, the problem is I have tested the water with my calibrated TDS meter and it is currently at 2700 ppm. The panel says 4500. I've followed the known steps to calibrate it (Switch from Auto to off, back to auto, press diagnostic button 5 times, then wait until it counts down, then switch to superchorinate and back at correct level. It never counts down, just sits at whatever the original reading was, in this case 4500 today. ) Eventually it resets to regular monitoring mode.

So, my question is: Since it's clearly producing chlorine and I can test it myself without the panel, is there a problem just leaving it as is and monitoring the salt level manually? Will the erroneous panel reading somehow affect the salt cell in a negative way?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

S

You probably have the wrong cell size selected in the menu.

What are the diagnostic readings?

Are you sure that it's a T-5 cell?
Well, I ordered a T-5, and installed it. Looking at it now, it says "T-5" on the side. So I'm pretty sure on that one.

Scrolling though the diagnostic gives me the following menu:
1. Pool temp
2. Cell Voltage
3. Cell current
4. Desired output
5. instant salinity
6. Product name sent to the display
7. Software version
8. Back to default salt level display

So this model doesn't seem to allow me to change the cell type. The cell replaced was also a T-5 which was working fine for the last 3 years when we bought the house. No ideal how old the pool actually is.

I can write down all the actual readings if that helps

The actual readings would help.

I suspect that the box reading is accurate and that the TDS meter is not accurate.

As long as the High Salt light is not coming on and causing the Generating light to go off, you're probably ok.

I recommend that you get a K-1766 salt test kit.

Ok, Update. The panel is having issues for sure. The Voltage has a reading of 31.6, but the current is at 0.00. Obviously that makes no sense. The instant salinity is at 0. There are no high salt warnings or any other warnings etc.

My TDS meter is the one I use daily for hydroponics and calibrate it regularly. Otherwise all my plants would be dead, so I'm not worried about that.

In addition, when I opened the pool last week, the reading was 3500. With only adding water and some bleach, the reading is now 4500. Must be the panel.

As long as the 0-100% output works in terms of regulating chlorination, I should be able to limp through until I buy a new one. I was only concerned that faulty readings might affect the cell itself.

Anyhow, thanks for the input.

The box has a 180 minute cycle. The percentage setting determines how much of that time it is generating.

For example, if the percentage is 50%, the cell will generate for 90 minutes and then be off for 90 minutes. Then, a new cycle will begin.

During the off part of the cycle, the amps and instant salinity will be zero. The generating light will be on whenever the switch is in the auto or superchlorinate position even during the off part of the cycle.

Move the switch to off for a minute then back to auto and recheck the readings.

The salinity reading is probably correct. I recommend that you get a K-1766 salt test kit.

A TDS meter needs to be set to read salt and not 442 TDS .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.