Hayward Aqua Rite transformer bad?

poolhome5757

Sep 4, 2020
Pine Beach, NJ
Tried turning on the filter the other day and nothing happened....ugh. So I have a 13 year old Hayward Aqua Rite Salt system and started troubleshooting via this website, I think it's the transformer but wanted to get some feedback as the items I found in the forums are not clear. I'm using the Hayward pdf for troubleshooting found at http://haywarddocs.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/AquaRite-Troubbleshooting-Guide.pdf

1. Per page 5 of the powerpoint I have voltage into the controller, voltage from gnd lug to terminal A-1 is 120VAC and A-4 is 120VAC (jumper is present so total input is 240VAC)
2. The measurement of the transformer primary seems ok (Blue-White is 2.3 ohms & Grey-Violet is 2.7 ohms) recommended range was 2.0 - 2.9 ohms.
3. Measuring the two Yellow wires on the transformer secondary shows 0 VAC, I removed the wires from the lugs and measured again but still 0VAC.

From this I think the transformer is bad even though the primary measures good impedances, is this wrong? Basically if the transformer has good voltage on the primary I'm assuming that regardless of load/no load on the secondary there should be some voltage there but isn't so before I purchase a transformer wanted to check w/someone that has more knowledge.

Thanks much!!!

Sounds bad to me. I would use the ohm meter on the secondary after removing power from the primary. I expect you will find it either open circuit or shorted.

Sorry, but I had to edit my post after reading your statement for the 2nd time.
1. Per page 5 of the powerpoint I have voltage into the controller, voltage from gnd lug to terminal A-1 is 120VAC and A-4 is 120VAC (jumper is present so total input is 240VAC)
Wrong! Why did you measure for 220VAC against Gnd? Measure the incoming AC between A-1 and A-4

For reference, take a gander on how the transformer is wired here Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

Last edited:
Point taken, measurement between A-1 and A-4 is 0VAC, in addition to the mains wires connected there, two other orange are going to what I believe is the pump motor. Will disconnect those and remeasure A-1 and A-4, expecting 220VAC as you point out, then issue is most likely pump motor?

Ok measurements so far:
1. Removed orange leads for pump motor from A-1 & A-4, measured and still 0VAC
2. Disconnected mains leads from A-1 & A-4 terminals and measured, still 0VAC but may not have measured this correctly

So possibly switch feeding power or breaker ?

Assuming that your swcg and the pump are on the same timer, measure the input and output terminals of the timer for 220VAC. If it is 0V, check the source (breaker or GFCI).
But I must warn you though! If you are not comfortable working around with electricity, please do the smart thing! Engage a qualified electrician.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.