Hayward AQR15 SWG

May 12, 2016
Greenville, SC
So I installed the AQR15 and it says it's working correctly. I have about 16k gallons. I added (for a new startup) 10 bags of salt. It's been running for about two weeks. I've never had salt before so I followed the directions for adding salt.

The Hayward manual states to add 427 pounds of salt for 16k gallon pool. I went ahead and added 10 bags, 40 pounds each. My salt PPM is 3400. So I know I'm good.. (at least I think)

So the AQR15 is rated to handle a 40k gallon pool. My pool is only about 16k gallons. So I first put the SWG on 40%. It didn't seem to be working well. So this past Sunday, I tested the water and I used my Taylor test kit and I got a reading of .2 of chlorine. Which seemed to be a bit low. My pool was not clear either. I changed the SWG to 60%. I think that should be fine.. (my math is, 40k gallons / 2 would be 20k gallons. I'm only at 16k gallons so 40% should be fine.) however, I'm at 60% and the test still isn't 100%!
So, with this, I put my SWG on "super chlorinate" and added 4 bags of shock and 2 chlorine tablets. My pool the next day was (and still is) crystal clear!

So that was sunday and today is Wednesday, so I tested my water tonight for chlorine and I got a reading of .2. (only took one drop to turn my test water clear.)

So my question is, should I be getting the same chlorine reading with my test kit as I would if I was using normal chlorine chemicals? This just doesn't make any sense to me what I'm getting. I'm wondering if the SWG is actually workin properly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can take a video of everything if needed.

Thanks!

Chris

What has your water looked like?
What is your CYA level?

The test kit reads the FC level the same regardless of the source.

It's about 100.

What are the diagnostic readings?

How long does the pump run for each day?

Does the cell say T-15 on the label?

What do you mean diagnostic readings?

I run my pump 24/7. It's currently set to 2500RPM's.
Yes, it's says T-15 on the panel.

I called and spoke with Hayward this morning. We both feel I have a defective salt cell. :(

The thing is, if I switch the system to off, wait 10 seconds, switch it back to Auto, and wait, my average salt level comes up to roughly around 1700ppm. However, if I push the diagnostic button 5 times and get to the instant salinity level, switch to super chlorinate and back to auto, it will read about 3400ppm. So that's good. But again, my average salt is showing low. :(
Disappointed........

The diagnostic readings are the numbers you get when you push the same button that you are pushing to get the T-15 reading on the panel. There will be a set of numbers for each diagnostic reading for Temp, volts, amps, percentage, salinity, product name, software version, and cell type.

You can reset the average salinity by following these directions, How To Recalibrate the Salt Level on a Hayward Aqua Rite - INYOPools.com.

Please post all the diagnostic readings.

Does T-15 on the panel mean it says T-15 on the cell body?

I would suggest turning the swg off raising the FC up to about 10 part per million with bleach and doing an OCLT to confirm that there is nothing in the water consuming the chlorine faster than the swg can make it

OK, so here are my diagnostics from the SWG:

3500 (average salt)
74 (pool water temperature in the salt cell)
27.0 (cell voltage)
6.98 (cell amperage)
60p (output %)
-3500 (instant salt)
AL-0 (Program Code)
r1.59 (Main Board revision)
T-15 (cell size)

I believe the key was the recalibrating process. I was doing it in a different order. I explained that exactly to the Hayward tech (I was following the stupid manual!) and he said I was doing it correctly. At any rate, it seemed to have resolved the issue.

Also, I believe I'm making progress, I tested the water yesterday and it was .2 chlorine level and tonight it's .6! Woot woot.. :kim: That's a move in the right direction. :kim: I went ahead and put the system on super chlorinate again for the evening and we'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Here's a pic of my pool water this evening...

pool.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.