Hayward 400k Heater First Impressions

Poolguy99

Silver Supporter
May 2, 2018
Boston
A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to add a natural gas pool heater to my 20x40 pool to be able to extend its use by a couple of months.

After conducting a lot of research, including getting some great feedback from this forum, I finally selected the Hayward 400k BTU heater.

There are lots of opinions/feedback out there from experienced heater owners but I just wanted to share my thoughts on the journey for the next person looking for one for things to consider.

1. Shop around for the best price for the heater. One place near me wanted $3300, another $3600 and another $2899 but I was able to find it for $1999 at a nearby/reputable pool store.
2. Make sure you have the proper pipe sizing for the length of trench you need. I had a 100' run from the meter through the house (~25') and then out the back through a trench. The first plumber wanted over $4k for the gas work using 2" pipe but I contacted another plumber who properly sized the pipe at 1 1/2" and did it for $2800.
3. Get installers (electric, gas, heater) experienced with the installation
4. Pursuant to #3, when everything gets installed, make sure the gas guy actually turns on the gas inside the heater. There's a switch on the regulator that if not turned on, the gas won't flow. I learned this the hard way as when we first turned on the heater, we got the dreaded IF error. Pool guy said it was the gas, electrician said it was a gas problem, gas guy said you may have to bring in someone else to do the gas troubleshooting inside the unit as he tested it up to the heater and the gas was fine. It took me about 5 minutes of reading the instruction manual myself to learn that there's an on/off switch on the gas regulator that amazingly has to be on the 'on' position for gas to flow and the heater to work.
5. The 400k BTU throws off a ton of heat exhaust.
6. One of my concerns with the Hayward was the complaint by numerous posters of how loud it would be. I don't know if those owners had the gas setup incorrectly, but mine is super-quiet and purrs like a kitten.

Again, these are just some thoughts that hopefully the next person coming along looking for a heater can use to make their process easier.

I concur. I installed a Hayward 400k last year and it's been perfect. Once a really helpful Hayward tech explained that water (back) pressure was more important than flow rate, it fired right up and has been working ever since. And I was a total pool newb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.