Hayward 400FD Natural Gas Heater Ignition Failure

K-Row

Apr 5, 2020
Charleston South Carolina
My pool/spa was completed in November 2021 and we have been using the heater to heat the pool and spa since we were allowed to fire it up in December 2021. No issues for 6 months but now it is giving me the ignition failure error. It's under warranty so after trying some common trouble shooting techniques I found from other threads here with no success, I called them to come take a look.

They told me it wasn't getting enough gas pressure and that I needed to call my plumber to take a look. Any reason why it would work fine for 6 months and now won't? The guy said "it happens sometimes" when I asked. No new gas appliances have been installed and it was fine during the winter when the house was being heated and gas fire place was on many times while the pool/spa heater was on.

Anyone run into this before or have any advice? I'll obviously be calling the plumber who installed the gas line to take a look but curious to see if anyone here had any feedback.

IMG_1792.JPG

resize 2.JPG

Well there are a few things about your gas line installation that do not follow Haywards Installation Manual.

See page 20 in https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets...as-Heaters-Installation-Operations-Manual.pdf

Compare the positioning of the gas shut off in Firgure 12 with where your red knob shutoff is. It is on the wrong side of the sediment trap. Also I think a restrictive gas cock shutofff was used which is incorrect.

What BTU is your heater?

What is the CFH rating on your gas meter?

I would check your gas pipe sizes against the Hayward specifications.

Were your gas pressures at the heater gas valve checked with a manometer?

1654209752405.png

img_1792-jpg.417926

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.