Hayward 24” side mount NEEED HELP

Michelle89

Jun 7, 2019
Tx
Hi! I have a 24” Hayward side mount filter. It is leaking at the top bulkhead. I am trying to find out if I need to open it to replace this part or if it just threads in like the parts diagram makes it seem.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Depends exactly where the leak is coming from. The bulkhead itself would require you to have access on the inside. But if the leak is really where the plumbing attaches to the bulkhead, then that is all exterior.

Please put your pool and equipment details in your signature. Thanks!

Michelle89

Jun 7, 2019
Tx
It is right against the filter. Filter doesn’t seemed to be cracked. So could it just be an o ring or something simple?

Hayward s244slv sand filter
1.5 hp pump
21k gal pool

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
You're going to need to open the top in order to hold the diffuser pipe in place because there's a good chance that the sand won't hold it in place until you get the bulkhead fitting back in place. Once you unscrew the bulkhead fitting the pipe is loose inside the vessel. It's not a big job to open it up and all you have to do is have somebody hold some pressure on the pipe to keep in from moving. I'd probably scratch the sand away from it just to keep any from getting behind the seals.