JoniTull

Jul 31, 2021
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I am looking to buy a new pump for my 24/52 abg pool. At this time I do not have the pump or filter hooked up since each were leaking. When I did have it hooked up my utilty bill doubled therefore looking in to the 2 speed or vs pump. From what I gather vs are more expensive than the 2 speed and work a little different, but the 2 speeds will be energy efficient as well. I learned this information from reading you guys forums. I will try to keep the sand filter I currently have but will need to find a casket piece to go around the top, which I havent had much luck. (Its a 22 sand RX Clear with medial balls). The pool pump Im looking at is Hayward Power Flo Matrix , 2 speed, 115v 1.5 hp. I found it a Dohneys, I also see that Amazon has it for the same price. My question is on Amazon's site it gives two different Hayward pumps W3SP15932S for $409.00 and SP15932S for $610.00, both list as the same description. Im just learning about the pros of the dual speeds so I am most likely over looking what makes it more expensive. Do you recommend either of these and could you explain the difference and what makes one more more expensive that the other one?
Also, Dohney has their brand for just under that price, does anyone have experience with Dohney products?
I added the Amazon link below so you could see both pumps. Thank you for your help and your knowledge. Thanks to all of you that I learned I should not go back with a single speed and that was why my utility bill doubled, litterally!

I did a little checking between sites and honestly don't see the difference between the specs on those two Powerflo model numbers. I do have the Powerflo Matrix and have also had the Waterway Supreme which are basically identical pumps. They are quite popular 2-speed models. I run mine almost exclusively on low speed. As for VSPs, they were starting to come down in price a bit for some manufactures. You might try to Google Calimar as they seemed to have some popular models as well. Happy shopping.

Reactions: JoniTull
I did a little checking between sites and honestly don't see the difference between the specs on those two Powerflo model numbers. I do have the Powerflo Matrix and have also had the Waterway Supreme which are basically identical pumps. They are quite popular 2-speed models. I run mine almost exclusively on low speed. As for VSPs, they were starting to come down in price a bit for some manufactures. You might try to Google Calimar as they seemed to have some popular models as well. Happy shopping.
Thank you so much for the confirmation on those 2 pool pumps. I'm glad to hear you have that pump and assuming you are pleased with them. I was really suprised that my utility bill doubled in price with the single speed running; however I was running it pretty much all day.

I did go look at the calimar equipment and found one (I added link below) for $389.00, its the Calimar VSpeed 1.5 HP. All the others were around 700 and above. Is Calimar a good brand and why such that price difference concerns me.

In your opinion does the VS pp really save that much more than the 2 speed pp? Is it worth the price difference? And is the money that will reflect on the energy bill monthly be a big difference between the VS and 2 speed, like $5, 10, 20, 40 or 50 dollars difference each month?
I am just so happy that I read some of the forums in reference to single speed, where it does burn more electricity, because I most likely would have went and bought another single speed.

I currently have a 115v and I did find a Waterway Power Defender 140 Dual Volt, V S pump, 1.40 HP 115/230, PD 140 $729.80.
It said it can be used as 115 or 230V in the flip of a switch, which is very confusing to me. Im still learning and trying to put it all together. My husband did not want to get the pool so he doesnt support or work on it in any way so Im trying to learn! I do plan on getting an electrician to hook all up once I order so hopefully it wont be a huge problem adding the 230.

Thanks again for your help.

Good questions. The cost difference is always a consideration, especially in simple pool set-ups. Except for places like CA that have made VSPs mandatory, we still have that options. I personally stayed with the 2-speed for now just because I didn't want to invest more than I really needed. Why that model of the Calimar is more economical I can't say, but I have seen several other members go that route. If nothing else, it's a cheaper way for them to see if they like he VSP experience compared to their traditional pump. @cowboycasey might have more to say about that Calimar model pump. Your decision may also be influenced one way or the other by the cost and effort to change your current wiring configuration.

Reactions: JoniTull
Only until inventories are exhausted. No more single/dual speed motors are being manufactured for the majority of the pool pump market in the USA.
Wow! I knew the single speed pp were not going to be made but didnt realize 2 speeds would be elimainated as well. I'm in Louisiana and havent heard anyone mention or being concerned, glad to know this. I had pretty much half way decided that I would go with a 2 speed but now confused again.
Thank you for your information!

Good questions. The cost difference is always a consideration, especially in simple pool set-ups. Except for places like CA that have made VSPs mandatory, we still have that options. I personally stayed with the 2-speed for now just because I didn't want to invest more than I really needed. Why that model of the Calimar is more economical I can't say, but I have seen several other members go that route. If nothing else, it's a cheaper way for them to see if they like he VSP experience compared to their traditional pump. @cowboycasey might have more to say about that Calimar model pump. Your decision may also be influenced one way or the other by the cost and effort to change your current wiring configuration.
I'm suprised that vs pool pumps are being mandated. I'm sure several people will just keep their non vs pp until they need to replace. @mknauss mentioned that 2 speeds will not be manfuactured in USA as well. I had pretty much decided to go with a 2 speed but now need to read up a little more. I can wait till next season since we are in winter now, but the way things are going prices may contiune to rise. More to chew on now.
Thanks for your insights!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.