Hayward 1HP Superpump Issues

tbone2

Apr 8, 2014
Hinckley, IL
Have the Hayward 1HP Superpump and have had only minor issues with it and has been a solid pump. I was getting some suction side air leaks since opening and took apart all pad plumbing and re-taped everything and don't have any air leaks now (no bubbles in pump basket).

Problem now is that the pump I think is overheating. It will run for 30-45 minutes and then I go outside and it's off. Try to turn it on and off and nothing. No clicks or electric sounds or tripped breakers. After about 30 minutes of it being off it fires back up with no problem. I assume this is a self shutoff protection feature of the pump, but I've never had an issue with it. Any ideas? Water is flowing no problem as well, so seems strange the water isn't cooling the pump well enough. (No heater or extra gizmo's - straight pump to sand filter setup).

Windings in the motor could be going bad and causing overheating. The water will not cool the motor itself.

Or perhaps something it causing resistance in the pump. Does the motor turn freely by hand? You can try spinning the shaft at the rear of the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.