Haward plastic drain. Is the cap on it removable?

doublewide6

May 31, 2012
Allentown, PA
I have algae under the drain cap and want to remove it because I cannot get it with the brush or even a paintbrush. Can I remove the cap with out effecting the vinyl liner seal? The cap looks separate from where the drain seals to the liner. Obviously I would turn off the pump before trying to clean it. Or any other suggestions. I have the pool well above shock level and it is not eating away the green algae. Thanks

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jun 23, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
If you're talking about the drain cover/grate, it's separate from the actual drain fitting and can safely be removed. There should be a couple of screws holding it in place.

DCAG

Jul 8, 2009
Merrimack, NH
doublewide6 said:
Is there a better way to kill the algae, then removing the cover underwater upsidedown? CYA is 30 what target level should take care of it? Thanks
Maybe your valves are set in such a way that no water is being drawn through that drain?

Dan

techguy

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
Jul 21, 2010
Antelope, CA
When you say "shocked" the pool. Did you use a bag of shock or did you do the shock process and pass your OCLT test. If you don't know what I mean, read the pool school. There is a link in the upper right corner of this page... here's another LINK

doublewide6

May 31, 2012
Allentown, PA
I used bleach to shock to a target of 20 and Passed the OCLT last night. I don't know why I got algae I have been keeping my FC high 5-7 range until I get my CYA above 30. I had a few spots where I saw algae developing, so I decided that had to meet the 3 requirements of shocking to move past the algae stage. Everything looks great I just hope it holds up. Thanks