Having trouble figuring out how long I should run my pump

Apr 27, 2017
Republic, MO
Hey guys. First time poster! Excited to try maintaining my pool the right way after fighting algae all summer last year. This is our second season with the pool (purchased home with existing install). As you can see in my signature, the pool is just over 16,000 gallons. Last year I ran the pump from morning to evening, but i think that was overkill. The pump manufacturer says it pumps ~83 gallons per minute, but I've read here that other conditions in the pool set up can affect that?

Right now I have it on a timer where it runs 3 hours on, 3 hours off from 6 am to 9pm. Of course I want it to cycle the water sufficiently so that the chemicals are dispersed appropriately, but I'm not worried about having it run a little longer to keep bugs and stuff out of the water (living in Missouri, we have plenty). Do you guys have any advice?

My TF-100 is arriving today so I can finally test my levels and start the process for opening the pool. All I've done so far is fill it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.