Having priming problems

ramsftbl55

May 27, 2020
New york
Hello everyone I recently bought a home that has a pool. When I start the pump up the water doesn’t always fill up the pump basket. It will also start to loose pressure from the return jets through out the day after about 4-5 hours.

Also when I start the pool a lot of air bubbles come out of the vents in the deepend. I took a video and some pictures of the set up.

Attachments

• D026BA06-6F8D-42F3-B411-EA8B68A43328.jpeg
    D026BA06-6F8D-42F3-B411-EA8B68A43328.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 0A7247D1-53EE-4A50-A169-9B36E097A160.jpeg
    0A7247D1-53EE-4A50-A169-9B36E097A160.jpeg
    647.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like a suction-side air leak.

Start at the easiest: low water level. You can develop a vortex in the skimmer and suck enough air to lose prime. Next up: the weir (flapper) sticking, which will give the same thing as low water. Then the pump basket lid. One blade of grass or one hairline crack in the O-ring could be enough. Make sure it's greased up. Likewise the pump drain plugs. Then you need to check all those valves and connections.

Spread shaving cream on them one at a time and see if it gets drawn in anywhere. You'll know by foam in the pump and maybe even out the returns.

There's more in https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/2019/01/18/suction-side-air-leaks/ Pay attention -- that's a two page article.

Also bleed any air out of your filter. It can build a big gas bubble that compresses and as soon as the pump is off it expands and expels all the water from the filter and the pump out the skimmer.

Sounds like a suction-side air leak.

Start at the easiest: low water level. You can develop a vortex in the skimmer and suck enough air to lose prime. Next up: the weir (flapper) sticking, which will give the same thing as low water. Then the pump basket lid. One blade of grass or one hairline crack in the O-ring could be enough. Make sure it's greased up. Likewise the pump drain plugs. Then you need to check all those valves and connections.

Spread shaving cream on them one at a time and see if it gets drawn in anywhere. You'll know by foam in the pump and maybe even out the returns.

There's more in Suction Side Air Leaks - Trouble Free Pool Pay attention -- that's a two page article.

Also bleed any air out of your filter. It can build a big gas bubble that compresses and as soon as the pump is off it expands and expels all the water from the filter and the pump out the skimmer.

thank you I will check that out. Also if I run the filter on recirculate it runs fine. No air leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.