Having a hard time between dirt, pollen and possible mustard/yellow algae

Ck91

Jul 16, 2021
Memphis, TN
Added as many pics as I could with the best pictures I could get right now.

Did not have this problem last year and thought it would go away after our insane few weeks of pollen in early spring.

I vacuum and brush almost daily. It really looks like dirt and is in the same spots all the time on the bottom of the pool, however I am starting to think it could be yellow algae. It has a brownish/tint of yellow look.

When it is brushed as well as knocked around by the polaris it kicks up and forms a dust cloud and is gone.

FC-4
pH - 7.8
TA - 70
Cya - 55

Attachments

• IMG_4527.jpeg
    IMG_4527.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4529.jpeg
    IMG_4529.jpeg
    693 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4530.jpeg
    IMG_4530.jpeg
    535.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4531.jpeg
    IMG_4531.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4532.jpeg
    IMG_4532.jpeg
    629.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4533.jpeg
    IMG_4533.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4534.jpeg
    IMG_4534.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reactions: Dijac
CK, I'm sorry to tell you but that looks like algae to me. The way your pool circulation is probably collects it in that spot.

Your Free Chlorine (FC) may be a tad too low for your CYA level of *60* (there are no halfways really, as its a logarithmic scale). If you've got a lot of bathers, kids who may pee in the pool?, sun direct on the pool all day.... these things will chew thru your chlorine so you need to adjust your chlorine goal up to accommodate them.

My advice is to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if its truly algae or just dust. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
If you lose some overnight its time to do a SLAM process and rid the pool of algae. SLAM Process

Maddie 🌻

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 4.37.00 PM.png

Reactions: beeswax
CK, I'm sorry to tell you but that looks like algae to me. The way your pool circulation is probably collects it in that spot.

Your Free Chlorine (FC) may be a tad too low for your CYA level of *60* (there are no halfways really, as its a logarithmic scale). If you've got a lot of bathers, kids who may pee in the pool?, sun direct on the pool all day.... these things will chew thru your chlorine so you need to adjust your chlorine goal up to accommodate them.

My advice is to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if its truly algae or just dust. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
If you lose some overnight its time to do a SLAM process and rid the pool of algae. SLAM Process

Maddie 🌻

View attachment 430306
Just completed an OCLT and it remained the same. I have a hard time believing though this is not algae as it keeps coming back in the same spots every single day. I am going to give filter, skimmers, stairs etc.. a good cleaning and boost my SWG and see if that helps. After a few days if the same I guess I will go ahead and SLAM.

If you do a SLAM Process, be sure to remove any ladder or steps. You want nothing in the water than can hold/hide algae. Since that stuff keeps coming back to the what appears to be the shaded part of the pool, I wonder if it could be Mustard Algae (MA)? But do the regular SLAM Process first. If you find it returns, you might consider elevating to MA level AFTER you pass all 3 criteria of the regular SLAM. You only maintain the MA FC level for 24 hrs, then it will fall back down quickly. Be sure to remove any pool toys and equipment as well. Keep us posted.

Finally was able to start SLAM process last night. It is my first time SLAMing and was not sure if this is normal for fighting some sort of algae as my FC is getting eaten alive as i blow through bleach. Pool is in direct sunlight but has not been too sunny today.

Brand new filters put in once i started SLAM.
I brush entire pool as much as I can every check up.
Added bleach according to pool math app after each check in to get to the appropriate 20PPM for cya.

7/8 night - 24.5 FC (overshot a bit) , cya 50 , TA 60
7/9 Morning - 18 FC (rained about .25in overnight but doubt it would have this much of an impact) cya 50 , TA 60
7/9 Afternoon - 14 FC , cya 50 (looked to possibly be 40 worst case but i believe still 50) , TA 70 , cc .5

Is this normal FC movement fighting an algae or is something off?
Do i just continue to fight the good fight?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.