Havent opened my pool in 2 years what do I do first?

SpeedyCorals

Jun 2, 2019
Connecticut
I recently hired someone to open up my pool but unfortunately he let 2 years worth of leaves and debris fall into the pool. I just finished scooping out but I feel like there's still a lot left at the bottom but I can't see anything. So far I've gotten my water tested and got the results below. The people at the pool store told me to add alkalinity first then calcium then stabilizer then shock the pool again.

Hi there Speedy Corals, welcome to our little (ha! really the largest) pool care forum on the net.... glad to have you here!

Your first problem is that you're relying on Leslie's to test your pool water. Big mistake. Not only do they get the tests wrong more often than not, their advice is sort of laughable.
The one result that I think is just fine *is* the Alkalinity! :laughblue: 70 is a fine number!

I can't comment on any of the other numbers really as i distrust their results.....and I don't know anything about your pool.
Please fill out a signature line (see to the left, under "Settings") describe your pool surface, size, what equipment you have and how you chlorinate.

We believe all owners should have their own reliable test kit. The type that when used you can perform the test again and get the same results. The type that gives an exact number for the answer... as is believable. And is easy to use.
Please see this --> Test Kits Compared

We need to have current test results from a trust kit (not a pool store).
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

To clear up green water we can give you directions here--> SLAM Process

But lets start with some basics --> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Maddie :flower:

HI!!!

Maddie has you well covered on the bases so I just wanted to tell you HI and you got this! Here is a couple of links to show you want you can do using the TFP SLAM method with a good test kit:

Kim:kim:

Hi Speedy,
you need to SLAM the pool. Shock Level And Maintain, with emphasis on the Maintain part.
Its not a 1 time thing, you'll need to raise the free chlorine to Shock Level and Keep it there and it is going to take time. How much time depends on how well you stick with maintaining the FC and brush brush brush the pool walls and steps every day until the SLAM is finished.

Below is a link with specific instructions on Slamming the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.