Have been having algae problems

Nov 25, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I too am new to pool ownership. I bought my house with a SWG and have been having algae problems. They come up as spots on the walls of the pool. Per the advice of Leslie's, I have shocked on multiple occasions and it keeps coming back. Now I'm going to try the TFP method to see if that helps.

I do have a question tho, since I have a SWG how should I go about raising my FC level?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: TFPC for Beginners

I too am new to pool ownership. I bought my house with a SWG and have been having algae problems. They come up as spots on the walls of the pool. Per the advice of Leslie's, I have shocked on multiple occasions and it keeps coming back. Now I'm going to try the TFP method to see if that helps.

I do have a question tho, since I have a SWG how should I go about raising my FC level?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome! :wave:

You won't be able to raise the FC level high enough fast enough using the SWG. You'll need bleach. And a proper test kit. The instructions are all here in Shock Level And Maintain

Hello there! You have a great first step-Finding TFP!

You next step is to find a good, local, cheap bleach source.

Then order a GOOD test kit. See my siggy below to see what test kit you want BUT I think you need to XL one since you are going to need to SLAM.

Good luck! Let us know when your test kit comes in so we can guide you through them.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your fine starting at night. I recommend starting a SLAM at night. During the summer starting as soon as the sun is off the pool. This takes the sun out of the equation, no FC burn off from the sun. That way all the chlorine can be used to start killing algae and get a good head start on it. ?

Not too late. Check it in an hour and redo as needed. Depending on the FC drop you will want to do it every hour until you go to bed. Big drop=every hour, little drop=every other hour.

Check it as soon as you get up in the morning.

Test and dose at least 3 times a day. The more you keep it at SLAM levels the faster it will go.

I hope it goes fast for you!

Kim

Welcome to the forum Dustballs :wave:

Or, leave the SWG on since the pool will be using it up anyway. Since his first set of results has the FC at 0.0 it's unlikely it's generating much. Once the SLAM is done they will need to crank it up some and or run the pump longer daily. That and bring up the CYA AFTER the SLAM.
The only time you really need to make sure the SWG is off is when you do your overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT).

It's one of those things were you'll get different opinions and I used to say shut it off during a SLAM and then someone pointed out an error in my thinking. That and the fact that you have the SWG already, why not use it and cut back on some of the bleach you'll need to carry in !! Made sense to me. ;)

It's not an error to turn the SWG off during a SLAM. I always recommend turning it off or leave it up to the OP to turn it off or leave it on. I don't see it makes a huge difference in how bleach is saved. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.